Notices

B18C1 Integra Greddy Turbo Problem

Old 01-05-2007, 08:28 PM
MC-14
Tri-man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18C1 Integra Greddy Turbo Problem

Hey guys! Think you can help answer this turbo problem. I installed the Greddy turbo kit into my Integra GSR about 2 years ago, and it's been driving fine and boosting pretty good. I recently got it back on the road and still runs great, but just a couple days ago I noticed that it was having a hard time boosting as if it was leaking boost. Triple checked and reinstalled all the vacuum lines, fittings,bov, and i/c pipes. All couplings were in-tact. It seems to be building pretty good boost when on the highway, but not too responsive when in 1st & 2nd gear. I noticed that the turbo has been making a humming noise from the intake side of the turbo. No side to side shaft play, but minimum in and out play, which seems pretty normal, and also no grinding or ringing from the turbo. Could it be a bad turbo, or maybe the turbo housing is loose from the manifold?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Sounds to me like an issue with either leaking exhaust gases somewhere or bent/broken turbine blades. I would remove the turbo from the manifold and check for any problems like that.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 AM
MC-14
Tri-man

You may be right! I also noticed a ringing from the turbo once in a blue moon. Sounds like something is bouncing off the turbine blade, but when that that happens I just turn the engine off and back on then it's gone. Any possibility that it is linked to that problem?
Old 01-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by MC-14
You may be right! I also noticed a ringing from the turbo once in a blue moon. Sounds like something is bouncing off the turbine blade, but when that that happens I just turn the engine off and back on then it's gone. Any possibility that it is linked to that problem?
It is very possible, but it is merely speculation without pulling it apart and examining it. That is what I would do.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:37 PM
MC-14
Tri-man

Okay, since I am going to have to rip the turbo apart, would it be worth upgrading the turbo to a t3 with manifold and wastegate and keep the fmu and injectors from the Greddy turbo kit. Not really looking to boost more than 8psi because a daily driver. Just a though. Any recommendations? By the way all internals are stock.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:05 AM
turbo4reek

If you know anyone with the same turbo, try switching it out.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Okay, since I am going to have to rip the turbo apart, would it be worth upgrading the turbo to a t3 with manifold and wastegate and keep the fmu and injectors from the Greddy turbo kit. Not really looking to boost more than 8psi because a daily driver. Just a though. Any recommendations? By the way all internals are stock.
you can switch to a gt28rs with t3 drop in housing and still have great spool and support up to 300whp. but i would also upgrade to bigger injectors and fuel pump with a real tuning device at that point.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:23 PM
MC-14
Tri-man

I don't really anyone with the same turbo. What is the difference between the gt28r and the td05h 18g? What size injectors should I upgrade to? I am currently running 310CC. And I am guessing a 255 lph would do just fine for fuel pump and an Emanage for fuel management. I don't really want to spend more than $1000 for the upgrade. Looking to do a k20a2 swap into an EK.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I don't really anyone with the same turbo. What is the difference between the gt28r and the td05h 18g? What size injectors should I upgrade to? I am currently running 310CC. And I am guessing a 255 lph would do just fine for fuel pump and an Emanage for fuel management. I don't really want to spend more than $1000 for the upgrade. Looking to do a k20a2 swap into an EK.
It will cost more than $1k just for the turbo. It is a ball bearing turbo, so it isn't cheap. Personally, I would either look to have your current turbo rebuilt or find a used one to replace it with. The difference between the two turbos is spool time but I don't see how that is worth $1k+.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
It will cost more than $1k just for the turbo. It is a ball bearing turbo, so it isn't cheap. Personally, I would either look to have your current turbo rebuilt or find a used one to replace it with. The difference between the two turbos is spool time but I don't see how that is worth $1k+.
spool time and power potential