Notices

Problem with 5th gear!!!

Old 01-02-2007, 02:00 PM
WhiteGhost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with 5th gear!!!

Hi everyone, this is my first post here!

Anyways, the problem is that the 5th gear doesn't hold for more than 10 sec!! It bounces back to Neutral after about 10 to 15 sec...But i can stay on 5th as long as i have my hand on the gear stick! I hope i don't need a new tranny. If anyone knows what i am experiencing here let me know.

FYI my ride is a 94 LS with 140,000 Miles.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:45 PM
DaGip
4N2Ner

Originally Posted by WhiteGhost
Hi everyone, this is my first post here!

Anyways, the problem is that the 5th gear doesn't hold for more than 10 sec!! It bounces back to Neutral after about 10 to 15 sec...But i can stay on 5th as long as i have my hand on the gear stick! I hope i don't need a new tranny. If anyone knows what i am experiencing here let me know.

FYI my ride is a 94 LS with 140,000 Miles.
if you have an after market short shifter it might be the problem. I'm saying this only cause both be and my friend have the Skunk2 short shifter which on his car also will bounce back into neutral at times, but we got used to it and doesn't bother us anymore. and also to add to the list of possible causes the shift linkage and syncro's.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:45 PM
WhiteGhost

Actually, i had a short shifter when it first happend! I thought it was the cause and i put back the stock shifter but it didn't help!
Old 01-03-2007, 01:10 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by WhiteGhost
Actually, i had a short shifter when it first happend! I thought it was the cause and i put back the stock shifter but it didn't help!
Then you might want to get under there ad make sure everything is snug. If one thing is off, the slighttest adjustment will make a huge difference.