Notices

92 integra misfire, no CEL

Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 PM
92integragreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 integra misfire, no CEL

This problem has been bugging me for a year already, and it is getting worse.
92, integra, 5-spd, 229,000 miles. I never get a Check Engine Light.
The car runs fine until it warms up to normal operating temperature. Then it has a rapid jerky misfire until about 3000 RPM, in any gear, then it pulls fine until I shift. Lifting during acceration will make it stop misfiring, and accelerating very slowly will keep it from misfiring.
The idle is very rough and I had to raise it to keep the car from stalling.
The dealership had it for a couple days and could not find anything. They checked the fuel pump and fuel pressure. They also tried replacing the distributor assembly with no change. In the end it was a very expensive car wash.
I replaced the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and a PCV valve that tested bad, with no change to the problem.
The IAC valve and Oxygen Sensor test ok. When I pull the connector off of any of the sensors they give me the CEL light as expected. The problem does not change with or without the sensors connected.
I tried resetting the ECU by pulling the Back Up (7.5 amp) fuse with no change.
Any Ideas?
Old 01-02-2007, 10:40 AM
FooD2000
Still Water

You make sure that it has a light bulb for the cel behind the gauge cluster?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
92integragreen

Thanks for your reply.

I did consider that the bulb might be bad. So, as I mentioned in my ramblings above, I removed some of the sensors to create a problem, and the CEL always verified the problem by coming on.

I should also mention that the car is completely stock.

Still open for ideas
Old 01-05-2007, 04:37 AM
MTEng

The CEL should come on when you start the car.... when you put the key in the "ON" position.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:50 AM
fjm1
G35

Sounds like you threw alot of parts at the problem! Maybe clogged air filter/intake problem. Disconnect the air intake at the throttle body and take a short drive.

Also, might be an injector issue. Not sure how to test for this, others might be helpful.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:33 AM
92integragreen

Just to clarify the CEL light does come on as normal when you start the car. Then it goes out as normal when the car is running. I never see the CEL come on after that.

Rgarding the parts installed so far. The plugs, cap and rotor were due anyway, and with the plug wires I found one that had high resistance so I replaced the set. It seemed like the problem went away for a while with the new wires, but it could be that the problem was less severe at the time. They all test fine now.

I checked the intake from the air cleaner and it is clear, and I went for a ride without the air cleaner installed, no change. I suppose I could try taking it off at the throttle body but it all seems clear.

As far as the injectors, I wonder about them also. The problem seems like it is fuel related but when I pull the hot lead off of one injector at a time there is a clear difference, so I know they are working at least somewhat. Short of replacing them I don't know how to make sure they are ok.

Last edited by 92integragreen; 01-06-2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: additions