Notices

Tires/Transmission/Speedometer??

Old 12-18-2006, 05:00 PM
daschwa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires/Transmission/Speedometer??

I have a '96 teg with 183,000 miles and an automatic, I know it sucks but whatever. I recently replaced the transmission with one I purchased off ebay due to bad gear slippage. Turns out the transmission the guy sold me was a from a B20, likely out of a Honda CR-V. After driving it for a while I noticed I seemed to be driving a lot slower then traffic and finally realized my speedometer is off by 10-11%, which makes sense considering the tire differences between a CRV(205-70-15 790RPM) and integra(195-60-14 890 RPM), not too mention my fuel mileage is down. Considering it's too late to "return" the transmission, and it otherwise runs fine, I'm considering putting larger diameter tires on the teg to compensate for the gearing. I can currently purchase the tires I want(on clearance, excellent price) in sizes of:

1. 195/65/14 24.2" diameter
2. 195/70/14 25" diameter

I'm sure the 195/65's will fit, but can anyone confirm if the 195/70's will fit? I know performance will take a hit but this is a daily highway driver and my main goal is to get the best MPG out of this thing and also get the speedo closer to stock than it is now which is far off. I've searched the forums and saw a lot of "no don't install that tire cause it'll throw your speed off" comments, but in my position I want to throw the speedo off. Thanks,

Dave