Notices

Short Shifter Input Needed

Old 10-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Black Ack
Black Acura Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shifter Input Needed

I've been considering installing a short shifter on my car and just wanted to get some feedback/experiences with them. When I was car shopping for my integra, I test-drove a car with a short shifter installed, and it seemed really difficult to move the shifter from gear to gear. This might have been due to synchros, but I really wasn't quite sure. As far as brands go, pretty much everybody and their brother makes one for these cars. Which is the best quality for the money? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:39 PM
2001TEGGSR

Just stay away from APC and other's like that. Skunk 2 is good, anything reputable. I used Energy Suspension Shifter Bushings and lubricated everything well. It shifts smooth like stock.

One thing to understand is that a short shifter works by increasing the distance between the stationary "ball" and the attatchment point to the shift rod. This gives you less leverage, and increases effort. The amount shouldn't be increadibly noticible.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:45 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Frankly, the throws are short enough that I don't think a short shifter is really necessary.

But if you go for one, avoid B&M like the plague.
I have yet to hear of a single case where their shifter didn't ratlle like hell.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:49 PM
1turbodc2
got boost?

i have skunk2 short shifter in my teg and my civic si, and i love them they are really nice, that with shift bushings make a great combination!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:50 PM
torn_phoenix
you would

I have the Skunk2 Short Shifter & Weighted Knob in my car. I love it, the weighted knob definitely allows for a more solid feeling shift. Whether it helps at all or not, I don't know, but regardless, I love the combination.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:09 PM
fastback

Short throw can make it more difficult in certain gears I've noticed, mine seems to be only 1-2 shift, but no problem in the upper gears. Mine rattles a little (DC sports), but that is because I think the previous owner didn't install it quite right. I'm most likely going to replace the bushings in the near future.

There was a tech question in R&T about a month ago about short shifters and they said that because you have less leverage, a short shifter is actually easier on the tranny.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:17 PM
vtec340

I've heard from a couple people that the stock GSR shifter is the best and I agree. I kept my shifter stock and just threw on a weighted knob. Like torn phoenix said, it allows for a more solid feeling shift and I love it :irock: . I say if it ain't broke, dont fix it!
Old 10-23-2006, 03:28 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

I have an Edelbrock SS and that works great. No rattles, feels good and installed well.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:30 PM
fastback

I liked the feel of my ITR linkage. What differences, if any, are there from the GSR linkage and the ITR?
Old 10-23-2006, 03:42 PM
95LSv
Banded

I've had both, cheap ebay one and skunk2. With the ebay one, it was hard to shift. With the skunk2 its like oem, shifts very smooth. Get a skunk2.