Notices

self install [Timing Belt]

Old 10-05-2006, 12:33 PM
mikeybaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default self install [Timing Belt]

Hi, I need to change my timeing belt and water pump and what not. Im learning about cars but I just got this car and its my first car. I really dont want to bring it to a dealer because I want to learn how to do it myself but it really has been bothering me of what I should do. I have read all the guides on how to do it and I have the good service manual I dont mind if it takes me all day and I have a lot of patience when it comes to these things. If i take my time do you guys think I would be able to do it safely? From what I have read in the manual it doesnt really seem that hard are their a lot of places I can mess up in? Thanks alot for your help in advanced.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:40 PM
fastback

Do you have all the tools, including a timing gun? Are you mechanically inclined? Have you done something like this before?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:46 PM
mikeybaby

I could get any tools nessecary, and no I havent done anything like this before I am just learning how to work on cars and this is my first car and I guess Im mechanically inclined
Old 10-05-2006, 01:37 PM
fastback

This would definitley not be the first thing I would want to tackle if I was just learning about cars, but if you are good at picking up something like this, then I don't see a reason why you couldn't do it.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:22 PM
PMI

Originally Posted by mikeybaby
If i take my time do you guys think I would be able to do it safely?
Suggestion:

Pull the valve cover + timing cover, and do the belt inspection described in the manual. Can't mess up much that way. Rotate the crank a few times, make sure you can find the timing marks, adjust the tensioner, loosen and retorque the crank pulley bolt etc. Then reassemble without taking the timing belt or pump off the car.

If you have trouble, let someone else replace the belt and pump. If all goes well, do the belt another another day.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:39 PM
mikeybaby

Alright Ill do that thank you, im also going to replace the valve cover seals while im at it.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:46 PM
PMI

Originally Posted by mikeybaby
Alright Ill do that thank you, im also going to replace the valve cover seals while im at it.
You could get some solvent and a razor blade, or blade from a mat-cutting knife, in case someone used a sealer on the gaskets and the mating surfaces are full of dried crud. Not mandatory, but I found that helpful on another car, instead of trying to pick it off w. my fingernails...
Old 10-05-2006, 04:49 PM
MTEng

Buy a Helm manual for your car.. use quality tools and take your time. There are step-by-step instructions in the manual.

When you have it all back together rotate the engine by hand several times to make sure you have everything lined up OK.

GO FOR IT... you'll have a great sense of accomplishment when you get done !!!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:01 AM
bnuk

its good to have someone helping on stuff like this, even if they are clueless about cars. It's just nice to have someone to look at stuff when you are under the car, grab wrenches and point out obvious stuff you might miss being it is your first time. Oh and get lots of bowl sized containers or ziploc bags to keep the different sets of bolts and other fasteners together as you go.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:17 AM
mikeybaby

Alright thanks guys for all your imput much appreciated im going to go for it and try