Notices

Ls Daily Driver Turbo Question

Old 08-29-2006, 08:58 PM
n0va

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls Daily Driver Turbo Question

Before I say anything. I know there is tons of info on turbos all over this site. But I did a few searches and couldn't come up with anything that answered my questions. So, now I ask anyone willing to respond.

I was wondering what type of bolt-on turbo I could put on my LS and what internals I could put in it to beable to handle the boost (Like specific brands or recomendations). I want this to be a daily drive and more for show so I wasn't sure if I would have to replace the internals or not, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I haven't worked on any boosted cars, but I have done some engine rebuilds and a lot of other internal work.

I tried auto-x but it beat up the car (not bad, but it's my baby) so now I'm going to try to show it and I need some sort of performance inorder to compete and a turbo sounded perfect.

IF there is a link that I missed while searching. Please, please post it here. Thanks so much

n0va
Old 08-29-2006, 09:10 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n0va
Before I say anything. I know there is tons of info on turbos all over this site. But I did a few searches and couldn't come up with anything that answered my questions. So, now I ask anyone willing to respond.

I was wondering what type of bolt-on turbo I could put on my LS and what internals I could put in it to beable to handle the boost (Like specific brands or recomendations). I want this to be a daily drive and more for show so I wasn't sure if I would have to replace the internals or not, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I haven't worked on any boosted cars, but I have done some engine rebuilds and a lot of other internal work.

I tried auto-x but it beat up the car (not bad, but it's my baby) so now I'm going to try to show it and I need some sort of performance inorder to compete and a turbo sounded perfect.

IF there is a link that I missed while searching. Please, please post it here. Thanks so much

n0va
The Edelbrock kit is very comprehensive and extremely complete. I installed one on a '99 Civic EX and it came with everything we needed. We did not replace internals and I believe he's still running it on about 8-10 psi daily and it's been a few years now. He doesn't push it, just enjoys the extra power and wealth of great sounds that the turbo has to offer.

The Greddy kits are also very nice for 'bolt-on' turbo kits. It's less pricey than the Edelbrock, but I believe the turbo is smaller and you don't get a FMIC with the Greddy kit. I've also heard that the Greddy kits aren't as complete as the Edelbrock kits, but I don't have first hand knowledge so I might be wrong. Das Shmoo has a Greddy kit and I'm sure he'll chime in soon enough.

hih
Old 08-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

What is your budget?

There are tons of bolt-on kits available, but depending on your power goals and budget, there are several different options.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:13 PM
n0va

I was planning to save up, I'd like to only spend around $3,500 - $5,000. I wasn't shooting for a whole lot of power, just a nice turbo sound and a little extra boost.

The 3,500-5,000 is just for the turbo, not including engine work.

Last edited by n0va; 08-29-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:49 AM
FooD2000
Still Water

I sent a pm, I have a turbo kit that a few guys here can vouche for, i'll send you details.

But... aside from my private sells, GReddy kit is around $2,300 and it doesn't come w/ intercooler or an engine management unit. Everything is bolt-on and pain free. small turbo which spools pretty quick from what i've sat in.
FMIC: if you go greddy: $700?
Jonny race car fmic: $150-300
engine management: Chipped ecu $175
Then get her tunned.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

If you want a decent kit with excellent streetability, the Greddy kit is very well made.

Full race, peakboost and lovefab all make very inclusive and expensive kits, but they will give you the most power.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:57 PM
DaGip
4N2Ner

yea i want to go with the peakboost kit, hey food can you help me out, just wanted to know how much you spend on your pieced kit, and what went wrong with it, help would be appriciated...
Old 08-30-2006, 07:53 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FooD2000
I sent a pm, I have a turbo kit that a few guys here can vouche for, i'll send you details.

But... aside from my private sells, GReddy kit is around $2,300 and it doesn't come w/ intercooler or an engine management unit. Everything is bolt-on and pain free. small turbo which spools pretty quick from what i've sat in.
FMIC: if you go greddy: $700?
Jonny race car fmic: $150-300
engine management: Chipped ecu $175
Then get her tunned.
I thought the Greddy kits came with e-manage? :thinking:
Old 08-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by westcoaststyle
I thought the Greddy kits came with e-manage? :thinking:
They do.

Too bad the emanage is a big pile of crap.