Notices

couple of questions on ls/vtec

Old 08-26-2006, 04:11 PM
vinhdizzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of questions on ls/vtec

first lemme say that im really new to this and i know ls/vtec has been done numerous times. i have a 1990 acura integra ls. the engine code says B18A. newbie question but is this the stock engine? also it burns and leaks oil. is it worth doing an ls/vtec on this trans or should i get another one? it's going to be my daily driver but i wanted to throw aftermarket camshafts on it. how much will this effect due to daily driving? i wanted to keep it oem for daily driving but when i heard i can get 20 hp w/ camshafts, i want to add them also. last but not least stage 1 stage 2 and 3 camshafts. which is best for me in your honest opinion?i want to add nice hp but the car is going to be stock except for air intake, headers and catback. i want good performance cams but don't want to stress gsr head too much w/ cams that are built for fully built/tuned cars. any and all feedback is appreciated.

David
Old 08-26-2006, 04:28 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have an oil leak you best first find out where it is coming from.

in my opinion i don't believe you would have the know-how to build any major engine right now. camshafts alone will not magically yeild 20hp, it takes tuning and other headwork as well as other modifications.

if the oil leaks are serious i'd suggest just ditching the engine for a new one. with the price of a vtec head and all the goodies, plus labor being up in the 2k range i'd look at just buying a different engine, possibly one equipped with vtec from the start.

the reason i am suggesting this is engine swaps are pretty stright forward, it will get rid of the oil problem you have and give you vtec without any of those unwanted headaches.

downtime for a swap is also much less than trying to build a motor, especially when it's 15+ years old.

:edit:
where in CT are you from?
:edit2:
looked through your posts and it seems you're from bridgeport.... well welcome to HAN

Last edited by sherwood; 08-26-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:04 PM
vinhdizzo

thanks for all info. believe me i wouldn't ever dare to try to do any of this for myself. i've been looking at gsr heads on ebay and a few other sites. the average price for one including almost everything needed is about 500-900 dollars. i also went to a local shop and they quoted the labor to do an ls/vtec at about $800. that's w/ out the vtec kit which they have quoted at about $300. i asked about adding camshafts and camgears....he said gears wouldn't be necessary. camshafts would do nicely and probably add about 20 hp. i don't want to say the shops name, no disrespect to them but if camshafts don't add the 20 hp like you said then im not sure if i want to go w/ them. But they have a very good rep. here in the CT. area. i didn't mind spending aournd 2000 dollars. but i can't spend 2000+ for an engine then pay for installation also. please leave some more feedback....it's greatly appreciated. all yea is my motor the original??? B18A in a 90 teg. thanks again
Old 08-26-2006, 05:14 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

well camshafts can add major ammounts of power, but not on their own. to maximize the power you'd need to get new pistons and the whole works really--

yes that is the stock engine for that year integra.

the shop, being one that s reputable, should know for a proper LS-vtec setup you will need to at least replace the rod bolts, which requires stripping down the engine and getting the pistons out. i doubt they quoted you for that.

in all honesty with all things considered, adn the fact that you have an oil leak somewhere... it might be more cost effcient to go with a swap-- if you want to in the future you can apply a turbo to it for a little more kick, but the vtec engine should be enough, at least for now.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

if you do decide to do an lsvtec and want to keep it oem reliable for a daily driver, you can use oem parts and still make nice power. here's an example setup:

b16 or b18c1 head
itr cams and valvesprings
p30 pistons
jdm itr header
golden eagle lsvtec kit
upgraded arp rod bolts
new bearings, gaskets, rings, seals, etc.
balanced bottom end
ecu and tuning software of your choice
b16 or gsr tranny

with a setup like this you wont have to rev to the moon to make power and you use mainly oem parts.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:53 PM
jrw1818

the down fall to putting a vtec head on that motor would be that it will need a oil change every 1000 miles.. but if you had ls/vtec it would be stonger then a motor that comes with one..
Old 08-28-2006, 07:54 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by jrw1818
the down fall to putting a vtec head on that motor would be that it will need a oil change every 1000 miles.. but if you had ls/vtec it would be stonger then a motor that comes with one..

except not.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by jrw1818
please learn what you are talking about before you talk. people that change their oil every 1k miles on an lsvtec didnt put it together right.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:32 PM
vinhdizzo

im gonna just get a car that already comes fast as is. i might go american muscle..... that's right send the hate mail. that's not a deff yet tho. or i might go 97+ prelude. it's one of ma fav. cars. they're quick and in my opinion, they look awesome. which ever way i go, i will just keep my 90 teg cuz i will never get close 2 what i put into fixing it. last option that is alwayz avail. is 2 do complete motor swap into the teg. if i went this route, there would be soo much 2 do and put into it. first i would repaint/redo the whole exterior. then comes the swap. i like the k20 type r engine. i saw a vid of a civic hatch w/ k20 smoke a stock evo twice. that shocked the shiet out of me!?!?!? basically if i decide to do anything 2 the teg, it won't be ls/vtec anymore. w/ my engine burning oil and all i guess complete swap would be best. im most likely gonna take your guys advice. thanks alot for the great info and sugestions!!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 11:24 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by vinhdizzo
im gonna just get a car that already comes fast as is. i might go american muscle..... that's right send the hate mail. that's not a deff yet tho. or i might go 97+ prelude. it's one of ma fav. cars. they're quick and in my opinion, they look awesome. which ever way i go, i will just keep my 90 teg cuz i will never get close 2 what i put into fixing it. last option that is alwayz avail. is 2 do complete motor swap into the teg. if i went this route, there would be soo much 2 do and put into it. first i would repaint/redo the whole exterior. then comes the swap. i like the k20 type r engine. i saw a vid of a civic hatch w/ k20 smoke a stock evo twice. that shocked the shiet out of me!?!?!? basically if i decide to do anything 2 the teg, it won't be ls/vtec anymore. w/ my engine burning oil and all i guess complete swap would be best. im most likely gonna take your guys advice. thanks alot for the great info and sugestions!!!!
for most people a k-series swap is too expensive and not worth it.

you keep coming up with the hype-r engine choices and they really are just that-- alot of hype