Notices

Motor Build Question [Split from ITR Side Skirt Thread]

Old 08-27-2006, 07:11 PM
1turbodc2
got boost?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001TEGGSR
So whats to justify that im a "noob"? Based on time here, or posts? I spend alot more time reading & doing research than bickering through the keyboard. If you refer to my initial post to you, I said your car looks good - and if it were mine i'd start workin on the motor. However its not my car, i was just offering a peice of mind.

And for the record, i remember your first post stating what all you had done.

A few more "noob" suggestions...
-- Forget the camshafts for now, you have alot more important things to worry about going F.I.
-- Do lots of research, and forget the "kit" your planning on. Peice together your own setup, you'll save alot of $$ in the long run.
Smartest "noob" comment i have ever read, u may not have very many posts but its nice to have you on this board! welcome!!!!!!!!!:cheers:
Old 08-28-2006, 01:04 AM
95-SIRII

Default b18c1 w/275hp and 190ft/lbs

www.high-performance-engines.com/b18c1.html
Old 08-28-2006, 01:50 AM
2001TEGGSR

Originally Posted by 95-SIRII
12K?? I could do alot more with less...

I knew all this reading would pay off eventually!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by 95-SIRII
what a waste of $12k
Old 08-28-2006, 08:18 PM
DaGip
4N2Ner

hey man, i only said noob cause i didnt remember your name my bad, man. thought you didnt know that i already had things on the motor, sorry for not remembering your name... i will consider piecing a kit myself if i find the parts easily, i would like to go over 300WHP, sleeving will come some time in spring, i like the kit i found, i will try to see if i can piece it and see how much $$$ i can actually save, if its like an $200 diffrence fuck it, i rather just buy the kit and save some time, im able to spend up to $3000 on parts for this kit and would like to have it all done before July of next summer. if by any chance you have a link or know someone who pieced his kit by himself could you maybe ask him to tell me the parts and how much he paid for each part, it would be jus easier to buy the kit and then spend an extra $1000 on the bottom end.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:28 PM
1turbodc2
got boost?

talk to food he peiced his own kit together, and he would be best person to talk to about this stuff
Old 08-29-2006, 12:50 AM
2001TEGGSR

Originally Posted by DaGip
it would be jus easier to buy the kit and then spend an extra $1000 on the bottom end.
Its all good...

As for the turbo... What kit were you looking at? I can try and guide you in the right direction based on that. If your looking to make over 300 WHP, you deffinately want to start with forged internals.

Unless you know somebody, its going to cost you around 800 to get your block sleeved. Eagle Hbeam's & Wiseco Pistons cost me $740. Bearing set was $85, and ARP head studs were another $100. Then you still gotta figure Gaskets, and other "suprises" that might come into play. This would also be a good time to upgrade your Intake Manifold & Clutch to help compliment your boost plans. This easily eats up 2k assuming you didnt have any major issues. Then you'd have $1000 left torwards your turbo setup. If i were you, I deffinately wouldn't skimp on the motor or you'll be pissed when something goes wrong & your without a car.

Or you could stay within your budget.. Lower your HP goal, do a compression & leakdown check and if all goes well -- boost your car, tune it and make around 250 whp.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:11 PM
DaGip
4N2Ner

uncle can do the sleeving for $400 thats how much i would offer him, i can aslways ask him to do things free all the time even though he always says "no no alen its cool" he installed my ITR motor for free, so i cant keep using him to do all this hard work and not pay him, the way it works is i usually pay him 1/2 of the cost. heres a link to the kit i plan on geeting http://www.turbo-kits.com/integra_turbo_kits.html scroll all the way down, its called PeakBoost Integra kit, tell me what you think about it, remember i will build up the bottom end, and already have an Fuel management, fuel pump and injectors i will also order soon, also GSSR rememeber that FooDs kit was cheap and everything but what happened soon after, it went bhoom, was it cause he forgot something i dont remember, sure will ask him how much he paid for it...
Old 08-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

uncle can do the sleeving for $400 thats how much i would offer him, ...
i would not trust a $400 sleeve job from you uncle or anyone for that matter. sleeving a honda 4 cylinder is a lot different than sleeving a domestic v8.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:36 PM
2001TEGGSR

uncle can do the sleeving for $400 thats how much i would offer him, i can aslways ask him to do things free all the time even though he always says "no no alen its cool" he installed my ITR motor for free, so i cant keep using him to do all this hard work and not pay him, the way it works is i usually pay him 1/2 of the cost. heres a link to the kit i plan on geeting http://www.turbo-kits.com/integra_turbo_kits.html scroll all the way down, its called PeakBoost Integra kit, tell me what you think about it, remember i will build up the bottom end, and already have an Fuel management, fuel pump and injectors i will also order soon, also GSSR rememeber that FooDs kit was cheap and everything but what happened soon after, it went bhoom, was it cause he forgot something i dont remember, sure will ask him how much he paid for it...
Food had a heavy boost spike on stock internals. He bought some nice stuff really cheap. The cause could have been a defective wastegate spring, or alot of other things. I believe he was still running a basemap too. And not only that, he didnt do a compression check before he went F.I. -- His rings & gaskets were a ticking timebomb. Boost just made it happen sooner. The key thing here is that you build that bottom end. Break it in properly & be sure its ready to be boosted! The stronger that is, the less chance you have of finding the weakpoint that will demolish your entire setup. What kind of sleeves will your uncle use? Im sure he's a master mechanic like you say, just be certain he knows what he's getting into.

And what are you using to tune?

That kit has most of the stuff, you still have to choose a tuning method in addition to that. Just seems over priced IMO. And dont forget a Boost Gauge, Wideband O2 & 3 bar MAP. Also Dynotime if avail. Allow extra money incase something goes wrong.

And last but not least, you bought a B18C5 - Swaped it in, and now your boosting it? That was probably around 5K in itself. All to pull it & rebuild. Mabye you should buy a bare B18c block to build, then sell your Type R motor for the good money its worth. You'd save LOTS there.