Notices

big problem, need help.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:07 PM
94blueteg
screwed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big problem, need help.

my car has been sitting for a couple weeks and its never done this before. at the moment, it isnt road legal because of the nys bullshit procedure of getting a salvage title...which is a whole other story. anyways i drove the car at an autocross event the weekend before last and everything was good with it. but today i go out to start it up and its really laboring to start up, like taking probably 4 to 5 times as long to start, and when it finally does it putts like its gonna die if i give it any gas and the revs drop from like 800 to 100 and it will stall if i give it a good amount of throttle. if i ease into it really slow it seems to be ok, but if i went to take off quick it stalls and makes this horrible noise like the engine is pushing but it cant turn the transmission or something because of resistance, i dunno how else to explain it. normal driving seems to be alright except for it being even more gutless than normal from the low rpms, like it might stall if i give it too much. any ideas what this might be? i have another solo event on the 20th, and i hope that either this goes away or i can fix it before then because im gonna be really bummed if i cant make it. any info is appreciated. thanks guys

wes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:32 AM
94blueteg
screwed

bump bump bump
Old 08-12-2006, 04:08 PM
DaGip
4N2Ner

dam im clueless, could be a lot of things,could be a bad coil, could be a bad starter, could be throtle position sensor, ive noticed my uncle working on a lot of cars that have the same problem, couple of times it was the TPS, the other week my friends Civic Si 2000, had the same problem, one of his plugs was miss firing and he needed a new TPS, so it might be the same thing, its hard to tell from what you have writen, you could have been a lil more clear...
Old 08-13-2006, 08:28 AM
94blueteg
screwed

thats really all i could tell short of posting a video so you guys could hear it. but we determined that a shitty piece of aftermarket crap is either completely to blame or is at least playing a part in this problem. this retarded looking see-thru red distributor cover that the dumbass that owned the car before me put on. to make a long story short, i pulled the plugs and cylinder 3 was really dirty like it hadnt been burning fuel, so i pulled the valve cover to see if a valve was sticking and it all looked good, so then i though maybe an injector was stuck open but even if it was it should still be burning fuel...so out of curiosity i pulled the distributor cover off and a pile of copper corrosion fell out and the contact for cyl. 3 was covered in shit, likely getting very little to no continuity. so i cleaned it up a bit and the car ran slightly better so i im gonna go get a new cover and see if that solves it.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Joe

when you try to start your car does it just go click click
if so, a new starter might do the trick
Old 08-13-2006, 12:54 PM
94blueteg
screwed

figured it out. #3 fuel injector is shot. unhooked its power and the car runs as normal as it can (on 3 cylinders that is) no back-firing, no studdering, no stalling, relatively normal. just out of curiosity, does anybody happen to know if the injectors out of a b18a are the same as the b18b? just in case i end up goin to a junkyard for this thing, which i probably will because a new injector is gonna run me $104 from advanced auto.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:26 PM
DaGip
4N2Ner

yea same as my friends, his #2 injector was miss firing, hope you get your stuff working again soon. the injectors should be the same.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Nors
倍力恋

Any obd1 bseries injector will work. All are 240cc.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:20 PM
94blueteg
screwed

sweet because i just pulled two of them out of a b18a for $14 from a junkyard today. hopefully at least one of these are good.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:30 PM
VPUPPY

I would replace that cap, and plug wires along with plugs for good measure. Some aftermarket ignition parts can take a toll on the coil and ignitor.

Quick Reply: big problem, need help.