Notices

New brakes for the GSR

Old 08-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Tobra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brakes for the GSR

Need to get new rotors and pads, debating with myself what to get. Had stock on it when I got it(duh) put axxis ultimates on there next, great pads, not so friendly to the rotors, moderate dust. SO the question is, what to get next.

I like how the OEM pads are gentle to the rotors, and make no dust, but they are sort of weak on stopping power. Should I get stock rotors or brembo blanks? Don't need or want slotted or drilled, what will cost of one vs the other be? Figure to also change the rubber brake hoses too. Likely will go with OEM, I have always liked the SS braided ones, but for a street car I would be concerned about getting some dirt between the SS braid and the actual hose, I had always understood that the SS braided should be replaced often to avoid trouble, like a catastrophic brake failure.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Keep the brake lines stock. Get a set of Brembo blanks. I have them and the stopping power with the Axxis Ultimates is awesome. I was thinking of going AEM ceramic pads when I have to change pads again because the dust with the Ultimates is insane and they have been eating the rotors.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Taiwanze7

Brembo blanks + Axxis Metal Master was a good daily driver setup. It didn't eat into the rotors as much, but dusted like crazy.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:38 PM
shivers
Moderator Alumni

AutoZone rotors with Cobalt GT Sport pads. I put this combo through a beating on the track and street. The wear was good and they were quiet overall. More dust than stock, but tolerable.

I had Axxis Ultimate pads for a while and hated them. They produced so much dust I couldn't stand it. And I felt braking power was only marginally better than stock for all the dust produced.

Like Schoo said, don't bother with the brake lines. If you don't have a dedicated track car, you're wasting money.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:10 PM
gingas

I'm going through the same thing. I need rotors & pads also. I'm going w/ Brembo Blanks & Hawk HPS on my Gsr also. My oem ones has alot of dust.
I'm ordering from Tire Rack. Let me know how you like them when you get them. Holla
Old 08-09-2006, 07:36 PM
DaGip
4N2Ner

I'm thinking of geeting Baer Slotted/Drilled Rotors with AEM pads, my stock ones have been making noises for the past 3 days, would the OEM rotors with some Hawk pads be enough, all i do is street race on occasion and go to the track every tuesday.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:37 AM
dmacaalay
Monkey See, Monkey Do!

Originally Posted by DaGip
I'm thinking of geeting Baer Slotted/Drilled Rotors with AEM pads, my stock ones have been making noises for the past 3 days, would the OEM rotors with some Hawk pads be enough, all i do is street race on occasion and go to the track every tuesday.
stick with the blanks.. the slotted/drilled rotors arent necessary, unless you are getting them for the looks..
Old 08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

I have brembo rotors as well w/acubouno (probably spelled that wrong) pads and it works great for me. Good on the rotors, little to no dust and no squeeks.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:20 PM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

I just got my Brembo blanks. $29 each and i'm just going with factory pads for now.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:44 AM
Tobra

It is Akebono I think

WHere did you get the brembo rotors for $29