Notices

Front end shakes when I hit 40mph or more and I hear a noise???

Old 07-12-2006, 10:41 AM
velocity101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end shakes when I hit 40mph or more and I hear a noise???

I'm not the most mechanical person but I'm learning. Normally I have a friend help me but he decided to become a trucker and he's never in town anymore.

I need help diagnosing a problem. I have a 96 Integra LS with just over 200,000 miles on it. I've known the my CV joints have needed to be replaced because I could hear the popping noise when I turn the wheel. Well within the last two weeks when I get to about 40mph and above the entire front end of the car shakes and I hear hear a noise that's almost like a clicking but a lot deeper almost. Is it still just my CV joints?? Someone told me that my entire front axle would need to be replaced. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Old 07-12-2006, 11:18 AM
D166thgen
CAPiTA

My 99 ex did that recently, around 75,000 miles, we thought it was the cv joints going bad, because my car would shake HORRIBLY at freeway speeds, and it got progressivly worse very very fast, overnight. Cv joints dont go bad that fast, so if its been getting worse very fast recently, i found out it was my lug nuts that were loose, and that my wheel was about to fucking drop off on the highway, seriously, i know it sounds stupid, but check it. Its a way quicker fix than a ball joint, lol.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:48 AM
fastback

Most likely it is the CV, and that means replacing the whole axle (there are two, one on each side) because they cannot be rebuilt. It is much cheaper to replace the boots when they go than wait until the CVs go bad. Another thing this can cause is really bad, uneven tire wear, so it could be more than one thing causing the shake, especially since it is speed sensitive.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Gearhead7

Originally Posted by D166thgen
i found out it was my lug nuts that were loose, and that my wheel was about to fucking drop off on the highway, seriously, i know it sounds stupid, but check it. Its a way quicker fix than a ball joint, lol.
I just had that happen today. I took my car to get aligned and balance and they didn't tighten the driver side front wheel. I thought my car was about to blow up till I stopped, checked the lugs just for the hell of it, and i could loosen 3 of them with my fingers. Sounded like a womp womp womp sound almost. When they get really loose at speed it starts to sound like a helicopter. lol Don't ask how i know. (74 beetle went by by)
Old 07-13-2006, 02:38 PM
velocity101

Thanks for the info.. I'll look into getting the axles on both sides replaced. And for now I'll check the lug nuts to make sure they're tight.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:56 PM
94blueteg
screwed

theres a good chance it may not be your axles. they will make more noise at parking lot speeds during real tight turns. your problem sounds more like loose lugs, bad wheel bearings. or maybe a tire being horribly out of balance. jack your car up and try to shake the wheel to check for any play. if the wheel has play its most likely a bad wheel bearing.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:09 PM
fastback

Originally Posted by 94blueteg
theres a good chance it may not be your axles. they will make more noise at parking lot speeds during real tight turns. your problem sounds more like loose lugs, bad wheel bearings. or maybe a tire being horribly out of balance. jack your car up and try to shake the wheel to check for any play. if the wheel has play its most likely a bad wheel bearing.
He said it does click when he turns, but that could be a bad wheel bearing too. Bad wheel bearing often includes other scraping-like sounds too, sometimes even when going straight.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:44 PM
guitarswheelies

I've had a similiar problem with my car for a long time. Its driving me crazy. It originally started when I changed the left CV axle w/a rebuild. I've since changed it with a new one and it still shakes.I don't get any clicks though. I found that the left inner tie rod is sloppy on my car so I'm gonna change it.Hopefully that will cure it.

my car shakes, runs warm sometimes and the AC shuts down.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:26 AM
Gearhead7

Anothing thing to keep in mind is ball joints. I have some that are going bad from being pickle forked to damn much when repairing some crash damage. Reason, I am thinking that is because when I get on the throttle heavy i get alot of whobble in the car. It used to happen all the time in the beetle i had. I replaced all the ball joints and it went away.