Notices

ITR sway bar on 98 GSR

Old 07-08-2006, 10:50 AM
pinealean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITR sway bar on 98 GSR

I've searched this and am a little confused. I understand that I will have to get some sort of beak kit to install this sway bar onto my car. Can somebody who has installed this explain what parts I will need in order for it to work. Also, I read somewhere that using that bar could potentially damage the frame..anybody verify this? Thanks.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:03 PM
1turbodc2
got boost?

get the comptech rear sway bar/tie bar combo done deal
Old 07-08-2006, 01:08 PM
AlwayzSpoolin

www.BeaksProducts.com

You can buy the whole 98 Spec ITR sway bar kit for $175 and it has instructions on their website for complete install. I Just bought one, and added the prothane bushings to it and it was $200+shipping.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:05 PM
pinealean

Thanks for the replies. The Beaks deal it almost $200 cheaper and comes with a subframe reinforcement kit. Is it not necessary with the Comptech bars? Sounds like Beaks is the way to go. GSSR, let me know how your install goes and how it feels on the road if you can. I will be looking to get either of these in the next couple weeks or so. Thanks again guys.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:09 PM
reno96teg

cheaper/easier option: http://www.geocities.com/bretq/swaybar_install.html

i've been running this for over 3 years with no problems.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:46 PM
1turbodc2
got boost?

Originally Posted by pinealean
Thanks for the replies. The Beaks deal it almost $200 cheaper and comes with a subframe reinforcement kit. Is it not necessary with the Comptech bars? Sounds like Beaks is the way to go. GSSR, let me know how your install goes and how it feels on the road if you can. I will be looking to get either of these in the next couple weeks or so. Thanks again guys.
Installation is easy, one of the best mods i have done lot of bang for your buck!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Try2Live4God

And if you're getting the Beaks or BSQ kit, you don't have to worry about the subframe tearing. It's only when you don't have the kit that it will tear the subframe! Hope you get the upgrade. It's worth it like GSSR said!!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:26 PM
dubcac
I

If you used an aftermarket bar, you'd need to worry about subframe tearout. You should be fine with the ITR bar.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:58 AM
pinealean

Apparently there have been documented incidents where the subframe has torn using the Beaks kit, or so i've read on the internet. This is my daily driver and I need it to last for many years to come, so has anyone ran one of these kits on their Teg for a substantial amount of time and not had any problems? I'm not going to be auto x-ing or driving my car super hard. Just the occasional canyon run. Is there a way to put maybe a smaller bar in, say 19mm with a reinforcement kit to ensure no tearout? I'm still a little sketched out about damaging my car.

BTW...I have all stock suspension. Is it advisable to upgrade springs and shocks before doing the swaybar?

Last edited by pinealean; 07-09-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:06 AM
1turbodc2
got boost?

u don't have to but it will defently be a nice add to do suspension i.e (shocks and springs, or i personally like coilovers)

My buddy schmoo has had his comptech bar on for i think 2 years, and he does dounts with his and his car is perfectly fine, if u want something reliable and that works well comptech is where it is at, its expensive but it is a very nice product, and by the way there sway bar is adjustable too