Notices

Resurfacing head... Tips and more info please.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:08 AM
Chanratha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resurfacing head... Tips and more info please.

I just need to know a few more things about the process of getting a head job.

How long will it take the machine shop to complete the head if they resurfaced and rebuild the head. Should I use new head bolts? And will the block need to be resurfaced also?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I just had my head resurfaced this last weekend. It took them two days to hot tank it and resurface it. I don't know how long it would take to rebuild it completely, but there was some disassembly required with mine.

I would get some new head bolts. New studs are a few dollars more, so why not upgrade? I am using Golden Eagle head studs and they are great. You will also need a new headgasket (or you could respray the old one with copper and reuse it).

The head will warp before the block does.

Why do you need to resurface it?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:35 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
I just had my head resurfaced this last weekend. It took them two days to hot tank it and resurface it. I don't know how long it would take to rebuild it completely, but there was some disassembly required with mine.

I would get some new head bolts. New studs are a few dollars more, so why not upgrade? I am using Golden Eagle head studs and they are great. You will also need a new headgasket (or you could respray the old one with copper and reuse it).

The head will warp before the block does.

Why do you need to resurface it?
Cool, now you can take me for a ride.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by centerforce99
Cool, now you can take me for a ride.
Yep. Let me know.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:35 PM
96BLKGSR

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
Sorry to thread jack Chanratha, but I have a question for Schmoo. How much did it cost for it to be resurfaced and hot tanked? Also where did you take it? I'm in the O.C. and looking for a place to go to. I just blew my head gasket so before I put the head back on w/ a new gasket, I want to have it checked and resurfaced. Thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by 96BLKGSR
Sorry to thread jack Chanratha, but I have a question for Schmoo. How much did it cost for it to be resurfaced and hot tanked? Also where did you take it? I'm in the O.C. and looking for a place to go to. I just blew my head gasket so before I put the head back on w/ a new gasket, I want to have it checked and resurfaced. Thanks
It was $75 to have the head hot tanked and resurfaced and to have an -AN fitting welded into my oil pan. I took it to Freeway Auto Supply in Mission Viejo. I wouldn't recommend them, though. They took forever and kept giving me excuses as to why they couldn't finish it when I wanted it.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:30 PM
dmacaalay
Monkey See, Monkey Do!

75bucks for hot tank and resurface?? thats cheap man.. over here in the bay area, a shop quoted me 150bucks to hot tank and resurface?? theyre crazy!!
Old 07-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by dmacaalay
75bucks for hot tank and resurface?? thats cheap man.. over here in the bay area, a shop quoted me 150bucks to hot tank and resurface?? theyre crazy!!
Yeah, I know. When he told me the price, I was like, "that's it?" It was probably because they jerked me around all weekend with excuses and there was no initial quote.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Chanratha

I changed out the head gasket and didn't really know if i had to get the head resurfaced or not so I bolt it back on and found out the hard way it needed to be resurfaced.

A friends shop told me he can do it for about $150 that's with the valves and everything.... i think.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:30 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Chanratha
I changed out the head gasket and didn't really know if i had to get the head resurfaced or not so I bolt it back on and found out the hard way it needed to be resurfaced.

A friends shop told me he can do it for about $150 that's with the valves and everything.... i think.
As long as the head was unbolted correctly, there should be no reason to resurface it. I had the head off numerous times before it had to be resurfaced (I had a small oil leak right by the engine code), so if it is your first time, it should be fine.