Notices

rotor screws striped!

Old 06-27-2006, 04:18 PM
sk8ps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotor screws striped!

Today I was swaping out my rotors and pads. I changed all of them successfully except the front right. I somehow stripped one of the two screws holding the rotor in place. Don't ask me how, but I still managed to do this WITH an impact driver !

I have read about some people drilling the screw out, but I am wondering if anyone has other suggestions or ideas. I'm worried about hitting the threading or not being able to pull the shaft of the screw out once the rotor is off.

Also, if I do get it off... do I have to go to honda to get replacement screws?
Old 06-27-2006, 06:41 PM
pnthr30

No, you do not need replacement screws. The screws are there simply to keep the rotors on when the car is moving along the assemble line. Once the car is off the line, and the wheels are on, there is no real need for the scews on the rotor.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Just drill it. Get a drill bit large enough to get the head out and then remove the rest with vice grips once the rotor comes off. I didn't even use new screws when I replaced the rotor since I had to drill 4 screws out.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:44 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Although stripped, you may find that a fatter cross tip will cover more of the area of the tip of the screw which can allow you to break it free. Try that. Spray w/wd40, wipe it down and get a fatter cross tip attachment for the impact screw driver. If that does not work, try drilling.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:34 AM
TSM

Originally Posted by centerforce99
Although stripped, you may find that a fatter cross tip will cover more of the area of the tip of the screw which can allow you to break it free. Try that. Spray w/wd40, wipe it down and get a fatter cross tip attachment for the impact screw driver. If that does not work, try drilling.
You could try that I use a #3 phillips with the impact driver before you twist the driver hammer it a few times to get it fully seated the twist and bang I have never had a problem doing it that way and if you have to drill it no big deal if you leave it out
Old 06-28-2006, 06:43 AM
shivers
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
Just drill it. Get a drill bit large enough to get the head out and then remove the rest with vice grips once the rotor comes off. I didn't even use new screws when I replaced the rotor since I had to drill 4 screws out.
I did the same. Here's a little tip I've learned along the way. Before you even try to take out the rotor screw with the impact driver, smack the rotor hat a few times directly above the heads of the rotor screws. This helps to loosen up any corrosion on the head of the screw and the threads. Then use the impact driver to remove the screw.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:54 PM
sk8ps

Thanks guys.....heres the result....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rotor before.jpg (422.3 KB, 54 views)
car lifted rotor after.jpg (441.0 KB, 44 views)
best close up rotor shot.jpg (468.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 06-28-2006, 06:53 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

So what did you end up doing?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:51 PM
drive4show

Originally Posted by sk8ps
Thanks guys.....heres the result....
That's eerie. My color, my springs, my Omni camber kit, my jack, my jack stands... I've gotta check whether my car is still outside....
Old 06-29-2006, 12:30 AM
sk8ps

I ended up drilling the screw out.

By the days end I ...swaped the factory blanks, with Brembo drilled/slotted. I painted the calipers black, put on some new pads, and swapped the rear sway bar (type r with bsq).