Notices

RPM drop when brakes applied

Old 06-15-2006, 11:59 AM
94 acura

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM drop when brakes applied

I've had a problem with my 94 Integra stalling at different times. Mostly when the car is warmed up and am stopped. I pulled in the garage and begin troubleshooting it. I found that if I apply the brakes all it to the floor RPMs will drop a little and then when I released the brakes to RPMs will jump anywhere from 200 to 500 RPMs.I even got the car to repeat the stalling problem by repeatedly pressing on the brakes. I checked the IACV in accordance with the Hanes manual and a check good. Does anyone have a clue what the hell is going on with this car.
PS-I have changed;spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotor, coil, fuel filter
Old 06-15-2006, 06:26 PM
94blueteg
screwed

sounds like somekind of vaccuum related problem. check for vaccuum leaks or missing hoses. my take on it anyways.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:26 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

i'd like to know as well.... i don't think the rpms jumping a LITTLE is an issue when you apply heavy braking... because mine will do the same thing... but, as far as stalling i wish i could tell you. it seems that you've changed the majority of what you could through the ignition system... so start tracking it in the fuel system.... although this seems to be more of an issue with electronics of some sort...
Old 06-16-2006, 12:00 PM
asheylarry

when you apply your brakes, the computer increases the idle to compensate for the electrical load on the alternator to illuminate the brake lights. when does the car die? when you pull up to a stop light/sign?
Old 06-16-2006, 12:10 PM
94 acura

yes, the car usually dies when I am pulling up to a stop. Or any heavy braking.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:12 PM
94 acura

I'm going to check all the vacuum lines tomorrow and let you guys know what I find.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:01 AM
m735is

Does your brake booster hold pressure when you do the tests in the Haynes manual?
Check the check valve in the brake vac line.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:56 AM
crazydoctorbob

I'd check for a vacuum leak as well. However, if this happens in stop and go traffic, particularly on hot days, I'd look for a fuel vaporization problem as well. I experienced this once on a carburated vehicle I owned. I unsulated the fuel lines and the problem went away.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:47 PM
asheylarry

im assuming its an auto tranny?? if its an auto tranny, when you apply the brakes the transmission shifts to nuetral. when in nuetral, your car uses the idle air control motor to keep the engine running... i would check the iac motor and passage for carbon build up. if the passage is plugged then the car will die
Old 06-20-2006, 07:08 AM
bnuk

Originally Posted by asheylarry
im assuming its an auto tranny?? if its an auto tranny, when you apply the brakes the transmission shifts to nuetral. when in nuetral, your car uses the idle air control motor to keep the engine running... i would check the iac motor and passage for carbon build up. if the passage is plugged then the car will die
I agree
its not a problem that pushing the brakes effects the motor, its a problem that the motor is not compensating for that. check the IACV or whats the other one? the IACV is controled by the ECU and there is another mechanical one that helps the idle when the car is cold, so yeah, it probably would be your IACV.