Notices

Suspension Job #3. Hopefully the last one.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Job #3. Hopefully the last one.

Just got my Koni Yellows in today to complete the parts that I need for my upgraded suspension. I got the Ground Controls on Tuesday. They are going in this weekend and hopefully, I won't have to mess with the suspension ever again since this is the third setup (4th if you count stock) that this car has seen.

Koni Yellow Shocks
Ground Control Coilovers custom spring rate 350F 450R

I have a question to anyone who has installed a set of these...Do I need an adapter to fit the coilover sleeves on the shocks or is the small amount of play they have over the snap ring on the Koni's fine? I am still a bit fuzzy on how everything is assembled and if I need anything more than just the coilover and shock sets.

Also, how is my drop height going to look using the default positions of the snap rings on the shocks? I want about 1.5F, 1.25R. Should I use the upper snap ring position?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010050.JPG (162.3 KB, 599 views)
File Type: jpg
P1010052.JPG (102.1 KB, 594 views)

Last edited by Däs Schmoo; 06-01-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:13 PM
quikflip27

damn, nice setup you got there! i wanna see your car on the streets one day since i live in rsm. that would make my day. jw, where did you order your springs from/howd you get them custom rate? thanks
quikflip
Old 06-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by quikflip27
damn, nice setup you got there! i wanna see your car on the streets one day since i live in rsm. that would make my day. jw, where did you order your springs from/howd you get them custom rate? thanks
quikflip
You should come to a meet if you want to see my car. I never venture up in that area, so unless you were down near Lake Forest, you will never see my car on the road.

I got the setup from www.redlinemotorsports.com and you can order the combo with custom spring rates. Just let them know when ordering and they will send the right rates out to you. I got the setup for $833 shipped which is a deal considering the performance, IMO.

The customer service there is probably the best I have ever encountered. He emailed me almost daily. They were out of the shocks, so he got Koni to drop ship them to my house. There was also a set sent from their warehouse without him knowing, so I got two sets on my doorstep today. I am going to return the other set to Koni and he is going to cover shipping. If anyone is going to order a set, I highly recommend buying from this guy.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:36 AM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

setup looks sweet man. i wanna see the pic of the car after its done...mmmm
Old 06-02-2006, 04:06 AM
ED9man
driver

I'm planning on GC/Koni set up, seems to be the most popular with race guys, and it can be had with hard rear rates unlike a lot of coilovers. Very nice. :thumbup:
Old 06-02-2006, 07:13 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by SP00NFed
setup looks sweet man. i wanna see the pic of the car after its done...mmmm
For sure. I was planning on raising the ride height a bit too. Probably a 1.5F, 1.25R depending on how much suspension travel I have after that.

Originally Posted by ED9man
I'm planning on GC/Koni set up, seems to be the most popular with race guys, and it can be had with hard rear rates unlike a lot of coilovers. Very nice. :thumbup:
Yeah, the springs are interchangeable, so if you wanted to change front and rear rates around, you could.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:42 PM
reno96teg

the snap rings should be in the stock position. if those are konis sp3s (5 settings), that means the middle.

if those are regular konis, i think it's middle for the one with 3 settings, and top for the one with 2 settings.

i'm pretty sure the adapters sit directly on the snap rings, but you can always call ground control to be sure.

adjust your drop height on spring perches, not the snap rings. after all, that's the point of they being threaded.

Last edited by reno96teg; 06-02-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by reno96teg
the snap rings should be in the stock position. if those are konis sp3s (5 settings), that means the middle snap ring.

if those are regular konis, i think it's middle for the one with 3 settings, top, for the one with 2 settings.

i'm pretty sure the adapters sit directly on the snap rings, but you can always call ground control to be sure.

adjust your drop height on spring perches, not the snap rings. after all, that's the point of they being threaded.
Thanks for the advice. That is exactly what the guys on honda-tech are telling me as well. The rear is on the middle position and the front is on the top position. The sleeves don't need any sort of adapter since they are made to fit over the Koni's just fine.

I am about to start on the install. I will update with pics in an hour or so when the front is finished.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:41 PM
mikey_e69

what other susp setups did u have and why did u swap em out?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by mikey_e69
what other susp setups did u have and why did u swap em out?
I had GR-2's with Neuspeed Race springs. They were too low, so I changed the springs out to Neuspeed Sport springs. I never really cared for the shocks, but they were free and better than stock...barely.