Notices

messed up rotor / caliper - need help

Old 05-29-2006, 06:57 AM
eXcelon969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default messed up rotor / caliper - need help

G3 teg.... (edit)
here is what i did. i wanted to paint the rotors where they would normally rust and paint my calipers. I '*' anything I think i messed up

1) put car on stands, take off wheels, use airtool to remove rust
2) undo all necessary bolts for rear rotors. i'm left with caliper and brake pad housing and rotor (* lost brake fluid, might need to replace)
3) did necessary painting
4) went to reassemble, looking at rotors spinning from above, they wobble in and out slightly. I cant believe they are warped because they are 2 months old and i applied hardly any force to them.
5) looking at the brake pads, when i put them back on, does it matter where they are in the pad housing? will they just adjust as i drive?

6) the fronts were smoother, i got everything back on with minimal brake fluid loss. got the wheels back on and i can spin them easily, i hope the brakes arent too tight.

Questions...
1) will i have to bleed my brakes to add fluid? i think i will
2) when putting brake pads on, will they just adjust to the proper place in the brake pad housing? should the initially be resting on the rotor or should there be a tiny gap?
3) is there anything i'm missing other than just screwing the rear rotors onto the 'hub' with the 2 screws? i cant believe they are warped but i'm open to suggestions.

thanks for any input
Old 05-29-2006, 05:05 PM
m735is

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you will have to bleed the brakes. If you cracked any of the lines open you will have to bleed those, sounds like you should bleed them all.

The pads should go into the correct resting place once you bleed and apply the brakes. That is if everything is lubed and/or moving freely on the clips.

There may be something between the rotor and the hub on the rears, or if you've drilled out the set screws, make sure the holes line up. I ground mine off once (left the screw in the hub, just ground flat) and cracked the hat of the rotor because I THOUGHT the holes were lined up. Even alittle rust can make a difference.