Notices

painting turbo and manifold

Old 03-01-2006, 07:58 PM
rugsr
How do my taillights look

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting turbo and manifold

ok, well i was talking to this worker at KS Auto(performance shop around here) and he was saying that they sell HIGH TEMP paint. It can take up to 1500 degrees. I was wondering how hot does the manifold and turbo get? I DONT THINK it gets 1500 degrees hot but what about on 100degree days. anyone know what temps turbos and mani's reach? REASON BEING: My turbo and manifold have been in the garage and i guess with cold air and mabye some frost (NY) it has started to urn brown, like a rusty brown. LOOKS BAD. Since ive put $ into this project i would also like for it to look good under the hood. i wanted to paint the mani black along with the exhaust side of the tubo. cars black and the valve cover is black so itd match. ANYWAYS, what are the temps guys. THANKS
Old 03-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Consider wrapping it over painting it. I don't think that that paint will withstand the heat because it does get hotter than 1500 degrees.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:35 PM
rugsr

WHAT! it does get over 1500?!
i heard wraping could cause cracking on a header. could it also do it here? i guess wraping would be so bad, since i might put a heat shield on it.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by rugsr
WHAT! it does get over 1500?!
i heard wraping could cause cracking on a header. could it also do it here? i guess wraping would be so bad, since i might put a heat shield on it.
There is always a possibility of a manifold cracking. It will just increase that risk a little bit while keeping all the heat in. It will keep the engine bay cooler and it will give you a little more power.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:56 PM
dubcac
I

Wrapping > Paint

Or you could send it out and have it Jet coated. But don't paint it.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:01 PM
rugsr

ok well then i think im ALMOST sold on the wrapping. since primer and paint cans are 10 each but is there a way to wrap it up correctly. doesnt it crack when mositure builds up? or no
Old 03-02-2006, 11:59 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Just leave it alone man. Heat wrap the underside of your hood to protect your hood from getting too hot and ruining the paint if that is what your worried about. Otherwise the paint will eventually become fucked and wrapping looks like shit if it is does incorrectly and even over time if done right will look like some kind of mummified artifact under your hood.

Looks: jet coat
performance: wrap
protect the clear coat of your hood: dress the underside w/wrap.