Notices

Got a Question on timing belts

Old 02-17-2006, 08:14 AM
locoforever73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a Question on timing belts

I have a 1990 teg LS bone stock for now. While I was driving it just quick running. It turns over andover nothing. So I replace the coil, plugs, wires,distributer cap, rotor cap, air filter. (it needed it anyway) was planning it the following weekend but it didnt make it. Something tells me it might be the timing belt the car has 186000 miles on it and dont think the belt has never been replace to my knowledge. How do you check for the timing belt if its bad without taking the valve cover off to look the the belts?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:18 AM
KaBlookie
4-doors ROCK

I don't believe there is a way to look at the timing belt without taking the valve cover off. and I'm sure the belt has been replaced at least once in the 186k miles that car has been running, cause it prolly would have snapped a long time ago.

either way, judging by the mileage alone, it looks like it's time for the timing belt/water pump to be changed anyways

now I'm hoping for your sake that the timing belt hasn't just snapped, as that could have caused damage to some parts of the valvetrain/head, but it would be a good idea to just take the valve cover off to check the timing belt out, or if you're not comfortable taking the VC off, take it to a garage and have them do it.

good luck

Last edited by KaBlookie; 02-17-2006 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:50 AM
bnuk

Take off the distributor cap and watch the rotor while someone cranks it and see if it turns. If that turns, you timing belt should be intact. (it is still possilbe that it is missing teeth or something but very unlikely.) It turns a little slower than you expect, it will turn at half the cranking RPMs (anyone know what that is?) looks like around 100-150 RPMs.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:00 AM
locoforever73

when i change the rotor I had to spin the rotor to get the screw facing up to replace the rotor so I guest the belts in place but how do I know its worn or needs to be replace. I'm just trying to eliminate the timing belt to see if there is something esle needs to be looked at.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:24 AM
locoforever73

Ok somebody tell me how to check the timing belt to see if it needs replace I know its still intack. HELP!!! Or whats up with the igniter around the distributer maybe I should replace that. HELP

Last edited by locoforever73; 02-18-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:59 AM
dubcac
I

Remove the oil cap and have someone try and start the car. Look through the hole and see if the cams spin.