Notices

Thermostat and Fan Problems Please help

Old 02-09-2006, 01:23 PM
94tegls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat and Fan Problems Please help

I just aquired a 1994 acura integra ls, and my car is overheating badly. I don't hear my fans kicking on or off. And I dont know where the thermostat is located. So if someone can help me with pics or diagrams or any information that can help. I would greatly appreciate it. thank you.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:41 PM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

u could buy a cheap 160 thermostat that would make the engine run colder
Old 02-09-2006, 07:51 PM
GS-R69

Default Thermostat may be stuck closed...

not allowing hot coolant to heat up fan switch. The t-stat is in the housing where the lower hose goes between/below distributor and throtlebody. Fan switch could be bad. Not sure exactly where that is on the ls cause I have a GSR. It may be screwed into the t-stat housing.

Here is a good way to check out what is the problem (Let's assume for now that you don't have a blown head gasket).

With the engine dead cold make sure radiator is full. Warm up the engine keeping an eye on tempurature guage.

Turn on air conditioning to see if fans work. If fans do'nt come on there may be a wiring problem or fan(s) may be bad. If fans come on then turn off a/c.

As the engine warms up feel the radiator hose it should be cool or maybe a little warm until the t-stat opens up (the hose that snakes over the transmission). When temp guage reads about half way the t-stat should open up and hose should get hot (IF you burn your self it is not my fault).

If temp guage goes towards 3/4 to the rad hose is is not HOT then the t-stat is stuck shut and needs to be replaced. Use the correct tempurature t-stat that the engine was designed to run at.

If the hose gets HOT and fans do not turn on then the fan switch is bad.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by GS-R69; 02-09-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:09 PM
94tegls

thanks for the info hopefully i wont get burnt. i let you know how this turns out.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:50 PM
94tegls

Default Problem fixed

Yep the thermostat was frozen shut...now that is finished i can continue to dump money in different parts of the car...