Notices

Not enough Fuel, or not enough spark???

Old 02-01-2006, 04:16 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not enough Fuel, or not enough spark??? VIDEO UP!

Still fudgin with this damn JDM b18b swap into a cx chassis (97) both obd2 motors. While im waiting for my obd1 ecu to come from phearable.net, im trying to get it to at least sound good. From near day one it sounded like it has a "miss". I did drive it up the road and it seemes alright. Im ruinning no cat btw right now. Ignition timing is at 16 degrees BTDC, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, tested coil and its spot on in specs (didnt test ignitor yet). At idle it sounds like it has a "miss" i say miss becasue it sounds like it studders, or pops kinda. What it really sounds like is my exhaust farting or something. My dad came over last week and said its deffinatly not a ignition miss becasue i would feel it driving. He thought it was a injector partially clogged or stuck open and dripping excess fuel, or a intake air leak. SO i got a can of starter fluid and sprayed all over the intake manifold, IACV, map sensor, TB everywhere and no raise in RPM.
Then i swapped the fuel injectors from our civic and it was the same thing still. When the swap started it would pop or do what it does maybe once every 5-10 seconds, now it does it as long as its running, and it does not change (go faster or slower) with the raise in RPM. It sounds the exact same way.
So i have no clue what it is. When the civic motor was in it ran perfect so i doubt its anything like a clogged fuel filter or line. Also im running 93 octane Sunoco gas. Is there such thing as running too hig of octane?

Now is it actually something to worry about, or is it just because im using no cat and a 5zigen exhaust, and just excess fuel or something?

My work is 19miles from my house and with traffic it ususally takes 35-45min to get there and back. I really dont want to drive it that far if something is wrong and have to drive back home.
Im pretty lost here, im performing a fuel pressure test and comp check after the ecu gets here, but besides that im pretty lost.

Last edited by a_integra_87; 02-02-2006 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Video UP
Old 02-01-2006, 04:36 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

yeah... it seems like it's some sort of fuel issue IMO...start with the easiest and then check off to make sure shit is working

-check your fuel filter first
-check all your connections, as well as any spots where the fuel like can be cut off

just woke up so thats all i can think of right now... but yeah ... start with that and get back w/ results
Old 02-01-2006, 04:47 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

i did the same swap in my 98 hatch and had some problems. Did you swap the IACV plugs? Did you also do the pin out at the ECU you have to change to plugs, I think thats all i did to my motor and it was running good. Heres the Pinouts and other wiring modifications you have to do
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/wiring.96-98.jpg
Old 02-01-2006, 04:48 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

ill snag a new filter tomorrow.
Today i swapped injectors...same thing. Although one injector is brand spankin new, (cause i thought it was clogged) when i pulled them out it already had black carbon on it...and this motor has max 30min of run time since it was imported.

Pulled the fuel rail and cleaned it (it was already spotless).

So right there i know the injectors are good, and the fuel rail is clear. But if it was a fuel problem shouldnt it increase or get worse as the RPM increases? Same with the ignition, should increase with RPM if it was a miss.

I have no idea, but ill try to get a video with sound to show you guys what im talking about, its very confusing.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:49 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

Originally Posted by teg92
i did the same swap in my 98 hatch and had some problems. Did you swap the IACV plugs? Did you also do the pin out at the ECU you have to change to plugs, I think thats all i did to my motor and it was running good. Heres the Pinouts and other wiring modifications you have to do
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/wiring.96-98.jpg
Yup that was one of the first things that i did.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:04 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

where can i post up a video with sound to host it, so i can post it on here?
Old 02-02-2006, 02:17 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

http://media.putfile.com/Misfire20

There is the video, let me know if it shows up. You cant really hear it that great, but when i rev it up you can clearly hear it do whatever it does 2 times in a row. It does that at all RPM it seems, and cold or warm...

Also i forgot to hook up the fuel line to the bottom of the FPR on accident, and besides gas going everywhere, it ran and sounded exactly the same...mean anything?

Just make sure you have the volume up a bit to hear it better...in the beginning you can hear it, it kinda sounds like its blowing bubbles on the camera, but you get the idea.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:12 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

wow... im actually stumped... it seems like you've covered all your bases... it almost sounds like your spark is getting cut or something... are there any other noises from the engine whatsoever?... i.e. coming from the cylinder
Old 02-02-2006, 04:23 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

to be totally honest with you, i only hear the noise through the exhaust. Near the motor you cant really hear it, except from the darn exhaust. The motor does seem to shake a bit though when you hear that miss.

Im totally lost. Besides the new ecu, a comp and fuel pressure test im totally out of ideas.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:00 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

IM sooo confused, forgot to mention the tach used to jump like mad, it would bounce from 800-3k on idle, but run fine. Then holding it at like 1k it would bounce to like 2k, drop to zero then shoot back up. Then my speedo crapped out. It threw a code for VSS, i unplugged the VSS and no more tach jumping. But im not sure if the speedo works becasue i didnt drive it.
Im thinking ignitor, damn freaking used ebay POS dizzys.