Notices

looking to get your radio reception back?

Old 01-29-2006, 04:01 PM
reno96teg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to get your radio reception back?

after having the s2k antenna for so long, with terrible reception, i finally got fed up. i plugged the antenna hole, and i ordered this:
http://www.antennaworld.com/eshop/De...ls&WCE=AW-276E

it's actually more compact than it looks in that picture. i installed it at the top of the hatch (inside). the only people that will see it are the passengers riding in the rear. and since it's powered, i wired it into the power antenna line and ground.

wow. the difference is night and day. i feel like i pick up too many radio stations now.

man, i hadn't realized just how awful reception was with the s2k antenna until after firing this thing up for the first time. h:

pic:
Old 01-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I would have stuck that antenna behind the A-pillar trim. It will fit perfectly, won't be visable, and will be high enough to allow proper reception.

Good idea, though.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:51 PM
reno96teg

not a bad idea, but i installed it in the rear for a few reasons.

1- i would like to have the front windshield reinstalled one of these days, as i'm not so happy with the last install. (edit: so i don't want to attach anything here)
2- the antenna wiring already runs to the back. i don't like the idea of having wiring running through the body, not being put to use.
3- i also wanted to utilize the power antenna line, to power this antenna. so #2 applies again for this wiring.

all in all, it's nice and hidden anyway. all the wiring - expect for what you see in the picture - runs under the headliner, down the C pillar, to the back. you can barely notice the antenna itself from outside, as it's stuck behind the dot matrix. and i think the picture's point of view is from around the area of the rear seats.

but yeah, location is just preference, as long as you get the right reception...

Last edited by reno96teg; 01-29-2006 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:02 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the stock antenna in my teg and I get terrible reception. I can't even pick up the "big" stations most of the time. Any ideas on where to start?
Old 01-29-2006, 05:17 PM
reno96teg

hmm.. do you still have the stock headunit? i would check connections first of all. back of the headunit and back at the power antenna. and make sure everything is getting good ground.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:20 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

No, i have an Alpine headunit. As far as I know the antenna is fully connected. Although I do remember seeing some sort of plug that was disconnected lying behind the dash. It had a metal top and had metal rods (?) inside the plug...but wouldn't I not really be picking up anything if it were disconnected? I hope this makes sense.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:54 PM
reno96teg

this is what the antenna plug looks like, more or less:

and yeah, if it's fully disconnected, you'd get next to no reception, if any at all. but still make it a point to check your connections and grounds.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:57 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

i hooked up an adapter to play my iPod through rca inputs on my headunit tonight. I should've looked more closely at it but it was getting dark. h:
Old 01-29-2006, 05:58 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Originally Posted by reno96teg
this is what the antenna plug looks like, more or less:

and yeah, if it's fully disconnected, you'd get next to no reception, if any at all. but still make it a point to check your connections and grounds.
so i should be looking for this at the back of my stereo, or back in the hatch area, where the wiring is? :thinking:
Old 01-29-2006, 06:26 PM
reno96teg

both. the same plug is at the power antenna - behind the rear driver-side paneling, in the hatch/trunk. that plugs into a wire that runs to the headunit, which in turn has the same kind of plug, and that goes into the headunit.