Notices

ECU doesnt flash

Old 12-09-2005, 05:56 PM
tahafisaka6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU doesnt flash

I have a 1990 integra GS, and I am thinking that my ECU is shot. The light never flashes on the ECU, not even when you first turn on the ignition key. So I am wondering does this just mean there are no codes at all? Or does it mean there is something wrong with the ECU itself. The check engine light does come on when the key is turned on. The car turns over, but I do not get any spark.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Have you checked the bulb? It might be burnt out or unplugged if you bought it from a lemon dealership.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:52 AM
tahafisaka6

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
Have you checked the bulb? It might be burnt out or unplugged if you bought it from a lemon dealership.
Didnt know you could take the bulb out. it is one of those ones that is soldered onto the computer board. I have looked at it, but I do not see anything wrong with it. For that matter though, I have looked over the ECU and I dont see anything wrong with it either. It doesnt smell like it fried, so I have been very leary about just replacing it because it is a bit pricey for something if you dont need it.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by tahafisaka6
Didnt know you could take the bulb out. it is one of those ones that is soldered onto the computer board. I have looked at it, but I do not see anything wrong with it. For that matter though, I have looked over the ECU and I dont see anything wrong with it either. It doesnt smell like it fried, so I have been very leary about just replacing it because it is a bit pricey for something if you dont need it.
I am not really sure how it is setup; I have never removed a cluster before. Try substituting a known good ECU with yours and see if the problem goes away.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:21 PM
aboobybobpleez
Certified Rice-Rocket

there is a removeable bulb for the check engine light on the back of the cluster
Old 12-11-2005, 02:46 PM
brinks

Originally Posted by tahafisaka6
Sounds like something is wrong. I believe the light should at least flash once when you turn the key to the run position. Substitute for a known good ECU and retry. LED lamp on the ECU doesnt burn out. ECU doesnt cost that much for that car, check ebay or g2ic.com in the clasifieds. Under $100 for a stock non chipped ecu.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:10 PM
dubcac
I

I believe the light on the ECU will only come on if a code is being thrown. That's how OBD0 cars check the codes. If you have no spark, I'd bet on a coil/igniter problem inside the distributor, not the ECU.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:22 PM
tahafisaka6

Originally Posted by dubcac
I believe the light on the ECU will only come on if a code is being thrown. That's how OBD0 cars check the codes. If you have no spark, I'd bet on a coil/igniter problem inside the distributor, not the ECU.

Thanks for the info. That was my first guess also and I have already replaced a them with a brand new distributor which included the ignition coil and ignitor, distributor cap, and rotor. This is why I am now looking at the ECU. As for everyone saying just replace with a known good one, well.. I am having a bit of a problem finding a known good one unless I want to pay $895 from Acura for it. I am in california, and the ones that I have found online have the federal code on it, not the california one. my ECU is the L01 version for the 90-91 acura integra 4-door manual transmission. I am wondering if the A01 will work or not being I can find that online for around $250.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:37 PM
dubcac
I

Don't you have any friends with a 90-91 teg, or any OBD0 honda for that matter? Any OBD0 ECU should plug in and at least start the car.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:23 PM
montemann

dont know if this helps but. I
have an 89 integra and when i turn the key over the light flashes red once and it will run, I was watching it today turning the key back and forth and 1 time the light did not flash, when i cranked it immediatlely after that it, it just cranked and did not ever attempt to turn over. Try unplugging it and the battery for 10 minutes, see if that helps at all.