Notices

Timing belt

Old 12-08-2005, 02:54 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt

So i've gone thru several write ups and checked a bunch of different searches, so before u flame me, read this...

the timingbelt change write up on c-speed racing.com for a b18c says that adjusting your valves is necessary... i was wondering on my b18b if that is necessary, or can i just loosen the tensioner and throw it straight on w/ the new cam gears, set them to 0* and everyones happy....what hapens if i dont adjust the valves before i change the timing belt...thats about all....thanks for the responses
Old 12-08-2005, 03:40 PM
daschwa

I'd think you'd be fine. My understanding is that the adjustment of the valves is to adjust for wear and tear on the valve assembly and be sure everything is within manufacturer spec. Although it's something you "should" do....I had my timing belt done at 90K on my B18B and the mechanic said they don't usually adjust them since I asked him about it, although he would do it for extra money. I was broke and said no and things have been fine and I'm at 165K. Although I do plan on adjusting them when I do the timing belt at 180K.

Also, I've done a timing belt on two audi's and a passat, both with interference engines and didn't adjust those so I don't think it's required, just recommended and good practice.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

If the valve lash haven't been adjusted for a while, I would do it. Otherwise, there is no reason to do it since the cams aren't even touched to do it.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:48 PM
carta79
Life after death

I don't remember reading that you had to adjust the valves in that c-speed article.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:53 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

it tells you to adjust to spec, then there is a link telling you how to adjust the valves...

it's just i wanna do my timing belt..valves haven't been set back to spec since i've had the car but thats when i dont have the tools or the knowledge so i was just worried about fuckin something up
Old 12-08-2005, 04:06 PM
carta79
Life after death

No, it links you to the valve adjustment article so you can see how to remove the valve cover.

I'd be more worried about messing up the timing belt install if I were you. The worst that can happen during a valve adjustment is throwing a rocker arm.