Notices

'96 Integra bad tranny need advice

Old 11-30-2005, 05:00 PM
daschwa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Integra bad tranny need advice

Hi all,

I was recently given a '96 Integra LS special edition with 115K miles and a 5 speed. The body and engine are in good condition. The problem is that there is something wrong with the transmission/clutch. For one, it makes a grinding sound when the trans is in neutral and I let out the clutch, and it also sounds as if the gears are noisey when I drive it. The clutch catches really low off the floor and hits pretty hard and the transmission appears to leak oil. I'm guessing it at least needs a new clutch and possibley a replacement tranny. I work on cars often and this is my second integra so I am somewhat familiar with this model, so the question is....is this thing worth fixing? I have a garage and tools so can I remove/replace the transmission/clutch myself? If so, will I be able to find a replacement tranny for a reasonable price? The car cost me nothing so I am willing to put some money into it. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:23 PM
wicked_geezer

wow thats a 96 ls with 115k someone must have really abused it to make it souds like the trannys going out...welcome to HAN, sorry im no help
Old 11-30-2005, 11:52 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

had a similar problem...check the fluid levels in ur trans...could just be leaking gear fluid...flush the whole system...look into replacement clutches...and if the clutch wasn't ever replaced could be the culprit...was it?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:54 AM
daschwa

Before I got the car my from my father in law, he said that the tranny was bone dry so he filled it up. Now that I have the car I've noticed it's leaking from somewhere, I'm going to dig into it this weekend. The clutch has not been replaced and something is a bit noisy when I push the clutch in.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:18 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

yeah....could have a nasty leak in the tranny and i think it might be time for a new clutch...but without seeing/hearing/feeling it it's tough to make a decision about it
Old 12-04-2005, 10:06 AM
daschwa

I removed the transmission from the car last night. When I turn the shaft and the trans is in neutral there is a bit of a grinding noise. I'm thinking I need to replace or fix this transmission. I do not intend to rebuild the tranny myself so does anyone know the approximate cost of having a shop rebuild it? Or would it make more sense to go out and track down a working used one? Thanks.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:48 AM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

ooo depends what ur future plans are lol...if ur going to change the gear ratios on it...or switch it in some way...it'd be great to do during the rebuild...but i'd suggest just picking up a GSR tranny w/ a quaife*sp?* diff. you'll love driving even if ur not really movin

in the end it's up to u...i'd suggest just getting a replacement tranny...cuz even if this one is rebuilt....it doesnt like u...dont force it to