Notices

Car sometimes won't start

Old 11-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Exadar
Be Quiet and Drive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car sometimes won't start

Ok, so i think i know whats wrong, but I'm curious to hear what ya'll think. My 95 LS w/ 85,000 miles sometimes won't start. It doesn't even crank or anything. It either starts no problem or won't start at all. Also sometimes when I start it the clock and my radio will be reset. My guess (its raining so i'm not gonna go out and check right now) is that there is a loose connection on one of the battery terminals. Anyone agree/ disagree?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:00 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

when you crank it, does it just click or does it sound like the starter just isn't getting enough juice? if it just loose terminals then tighten it down but it sounds like it's going to be your battery. Alot of times your battery when it starts to go bad is when it starts and then sometimes it doesn't start. When we do test at autozone we'll see batteries hold a charge at 12 volts for 20 seconds then drop the charge down to 5-6volts for 10 seconds, so this is what your battery is doing while the alternator is putting a load on the battery, so sometimes when you turn your car off. Your battery has 12 or maybe 5-6 volts. Take it to autozone or any other hardparts store and have them check it out for free.

Car runs great otherwise right? The battery just doesn't hold a charge very stable, that is my guess on why it starts sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. This is normally the first sign of the battery going bad.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:37 PM
VPUPPY

i agree with starting at the battery. make sure the terminals are clean and tight. if this is the case get the battery tested and if its fine, it could be the starter.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:38 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

well... he said sometimes his radio restarts. So the problem is hes not gettin enough juice.

hopefully it's your battery.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Exadar
Be Quiet and Drive

update......

I checked the terminals today and the positive terminal popped off the battery really easially so i'm guessing that since it is november... the metal contracted and then there wasn't a good connection. As soon as i can get my hands on some wrenches i'm gonna tighten it up. I'll probably take it to auto zone and get the battery tested too just to be safe