Notices

1989 integra water pump replacement

Old 11-08-2005, 09:13 AM
acura owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 integra water pump replacement

all i have is a chiltons manual that doesn't outline instructions for replacement of the water pump. is it necessary to remove the timing belt; if so what else should be done? 4cyl manual trans. no a/c 1989 acura

thanks!
Old 11-08-2005, 09:18 AM
FooD2000
Still Water

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...ArticleID=1044

how many miles are on the car? when's the last time the belt has been done? While your down there you may as well replace the belt unless you already did it recently.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:43 AM
travis in wa

Check out the Haynes manual. It seems pretty detailed. Read all of the other stuff around too before tackling the job.
It will be a pretty in depth procedure...good luck.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:48 AM
acura owner

FooD2000: You're thinking what I was thinking, but my question was, do I have to REMOVE the timing belt to replace the pump? My book doesn't say. I figure on replacing the belt anyway. I was just asking for more specifics on all what needs to be done.

I may have mis-stated in my original post...I think I've got the Haynes manual, and it's really weak. Basically all it says is to do stuff like remove the negative battery cable (duh) and remove some belts, the pump, and replace. No mention of the timing belt, timing cover, thermostat, power steering pump, alternator...

So on to the bigger question: Is there a GOOD manual available online for this car? For example, I was able to get the shop service manual for my Pathfinder from someone on another forum.

I suppose I could go to the library, but I thought I'd check with y'all first!

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2005, 11:01 AM
travis in wa

The Haynes manual I have does cover all of the detailed steps involved with replacing the waterpump and timing belt.

Simplest answer is yes, you have to remove the timing belt, after disconnecting the battery, after setting the engine to TDC on #1, after etc...
Old 11-08-2005, 11:44 AM
acura owner

Thanks Travis. I'm not at home to verify which book I have, but whatever it is, it didn't say squat. Regardless, I think I'll stop at the library and log-on to AllData...apparently our library system subscribes, and I can print up whatever I need. If not, I'll buy a subscription.

Thanks again!
Old 11-08-2005, 01:59 PM
travis in wa

My guess is you have a Chilton manual. The Chilton's I've read don't have much detail.
So I ordered a Hanes from somewhere in Florida for about $20 delivered.
I could scan the relevant pages for you.
Where are you located? Bring your car over so we can practice on yours, then do mine.