Notices

Speed Shfiting gona bad

Old 09-24-2005, 09:03 AM
cbs564

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Shfiting gona bad

I just had a little custom exhaust system installed on the car, nothing major, muffler and upped the piping to 2 1/2" through the entire system. well, of course someone wanted to drive it, i was nice and let them do it. two poeple got in my car and said they run around the neighborhood.

when i got into my car, he got out and said, dude, your 3rd grinds like shit. I said no it doesnt. I got in my car and noticed all my gears were harder to shift. and after about 4500-5000 and anything above that my transmission grinds going from 2nd to 3rd i usually shift at 3, unless im driving hard. the dude in the passenger seat said he tried to speed shift from 2nd to 3rd.

I was surprised Who gets in someone elses god damn car and abuses it like that? he was like, uhhh its probably shifter bushings. i dont know.

I dont even know how to speed shift, apparantly he doesnt either. come to think of it he drive a damn auto. im pissed.

if you shift percisely it wont grind, and sometimes it get out of whack and you have to put it in netural and push it side to side and then you can put it back in gear, it just seems like whatever he did made it alot looser. and my clutch isnt that great either. so i dont know what to do. i could try getting a short shifter, maybe some energy supension bushings, replacing the mt oil. maybe that could fix it?

should i start looking for replacement transmissions?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:13 AM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should start by wacking that kid in the face with a shovel, second id tell him to put up some cash for messing up the tranny, id buy a used one. used trannies arent too expansive.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:39 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

This is why no-one drives my car but me [unless they work for a shop where I'm having work done.] You can only diagnose so much over the internet, but it sounds like your "friend" has done some serious damage.

There is the possibility that he tore the lower shift bushing while beating the hell out of your car, but I doubt it. In general, speed shifting is horrendously abusive on syncros and shifter forks and there's no good reason to do it.

Changing bushings and oil won't really fix problems that are internal to the transmission. If you can't get the car into gear, or if it pops out of gear at speed, your transmission is probably in need of an overhaul.

And based on past experience, I would a buy a rebuilt transmission instead of taking chances on a junkyard tranny that no-one has inspected.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-24-2005, 01:37 PM
iownzadc2
Type-DC2

how do ppl speed shift anyways...
Old 09-24-2005, 02:13 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by iownzadc2
how do ppl speed shift anyways...
By not depressing the clutch and expecting the syncromesh gears to do all the work. It's an exercise in brute force and unbridled stupidity.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-26-2005, 07:55 AM
cbs564

my transmission never pops out of gear it just grinds when im racing, like when i take it to 6 grand, but other than that it is ok. Clutch maybe? i know i burned the hell out of it when i first got it cause i thought it would be funny to start off in 5th. i made it about 20ft before i smelled clutch. I regret doing that so much now. I plan on just throwing in a jdm motor and transmission in there when i get the funds, plus its not like the car is killing me now. I kept up with completely stock 02 civic si for a few gears. killed my cousins 04 ex auto again. 30 roll, maxed out second i was already a car lentgh, it was no competition. i love this integra, its bad ass. does anyone have any good links on where to find a chart that shows what motors will bolt up in a g2 integra using the current mounts? i remeber seeing this chart or page or something off some jdm motor site that told you what motors you could bolt in your acura/honda specific model, wihout motor mount modification. which is what i need cause this is going to end up being a do-it yourself project anyway.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:31 AM
tgansert
is all good

The face-shovel-whacking is a great idea, but I would first have a good talk with him and obligate him to give you at least $500 for his little joy ride.

My guess would be that while he was slip shifting, he missed the spot where the syncro teeth match up and decided that instead of correcting his mistake by pushing in the clutch, he jammed it in anyway thereby snapping, cracking, and popping of a couple of the necessary gear teeth and that is where the rattle is coming from. Just some gigantic pieces of metal rattling inside your trans.

There are 4 perfect points of shift where you can slip (hence slip shift) into the next gear without using the clutch. Nine times out of ten, the only people to do this are named billy bob, smoke ten ciggs at once, and operate a little dinghy called a Peterbilt or a Kenworth on west coast turn arounds. And they deal with about 30 gears, not 5.

So get your money out of that moron or the monkies that raised him, then flatten his nose with a spade.

*drops in his $0.02.*
Old 09-26-2005, 08:35 AM
Swisher

Why didn't you go on the little test drive with them? Id never trust someone else with my car. It sounds like you let some random person drive it. Was it a friend?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:38 AM
tgansert
is all good

Shit, I wouldn't let Michael Schumacher drive my car without putting his Ferrari Formula Cup car up as collateral.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:14 AM
ProjectG2

I wouldn't let anyone drive mine either... even since my teg isn't half as nice as 90% of the cars on this site. It's one thing to drive it yourself - you know how hard you can push it. Lesson learned, I guess.

(But don't feel bad - I've done it too, and learned my lesson.)