Notices

drove the Nurburgring in an ITR...

Old 08-24-2005, 09:52 AM
pythonscott
Nurburgring junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drove the Nurburgring in an ITR...

(same thing posted in the Basement forum)

I'm getting ready to load my pics right now, so here is a teaser and explanation...

A great website about the Ring by a British fan

Enlish version of the Nurburgring Nordschleife website

so here's the story...
A guy that I was room mates with in college for a year and a half is now in the Air Force and at an base in west Germany (I'm in the the south eastern part of the country). He just bought a black Eurospec (EDM if you will. The EDM R's came stock with the Recaros like the JDM cars) 99 ITR last week on tuesday. Its been a good year+ since I'd seen the guy so I drove the 3 hours out to where he was at and hung out for the weekend. Saturday we went up to the famed Nurburgring which is about 1.5 hours to the north of him...

OH MY GOSH! it totaly lives up to the hype. According to the schedule thats online it was going to be open all saturday to the pulbic (10am-645pm) and damn, was the public there! every kind of performance car you can think of was there. evrery manner of Ferrari (including a black Enzo), Lotus Elise(at least 30 of em there), Caterham Super 7's (by the dozen) M3 CSL's(basicly a type R'd M3), Porshe Carrera of every year and engine deviation, and on, and on, and on, in short it was a sports car lovers wet dream. August is the month that every one in Europe takes holiday, so there were at least 10 different countries represented by cars at the track. oh, yeah, and motorbikes were out in full force too.

ok, now for the driving: you find a place to park inside a parking area or along the road, then go in close to where the actual entrance to the track is (if you've played the Gran Tourisimo 4, the entrance is close to the end of the main straight) and there is a kiosk where you can pick the number of laps you want to drive, pay for it, then it spits out a ticket. The normal cost per lap is 15 Euro, but one of the better deals, and the one my friend and I bought was 5 laps for 60 Euro. After you get you lapping ticket you just have to find a place in line (good luck) and when you get to the gate you put your ticket in a slot,it spits it back out with one lap taken off, the gate opens, and after a short area where cones guide you to an accelerating point, you are off!!

This arial photo shows the starting gates in the bottom, left of the pic. You buy your tickets at the building right by those gates. The exit of the track is on the right side of pic, just below middle... when you're done with your lap and want to go again, just drive straight up to the gate again. let the butterflies begin!

For those following along on GT4 on their PS2's, the real life entrance to the track actually starts you off at the end of the straight, where you have time to accelerate and hit the first few corners with some speed. In the game, if you drive slowly down the main striaght, about 2/3 of the way down, on the right you can go to where the real exit is and the game shows some of the buildings in the above pic. go around 100 meters or so and turn around and you can drive part way up where teh real entrance is and see some other buildings. Why the game doesn't have you start off in the same place is beyond me. I think the actual real life starting place would be much better.

My friend gave me first lap honors, and what a way to give the stock type R a drive! The track is nice and wide, and smooth and grippy as could be... for all 21 kilometers! there are signs that count off every kilometer and flaggers in case someone biffs it. There are also green sighns that say what the name of the corner is. After you've driven the full lenght and get back to the main striaght, you can get a little bit of flat out acceleration in before slowing and getting in line to exit the track. If you really wanted to go all out down the straight for longer, you could, but its smarter to use the straight to coast and let your brakes and tires cool. If you want to go again for another lap, just drive straight, after exiting the track, and it will put you back at the gate, insert you ticket and go again.!

You're not really supposed to take a camera out on track so there were only a few photos taken and I got 2 short videos (need to find a place to host em) on the way up to and thru the "Karussell" There are places all over the track where people can picnic and watch the cars lap. There's even a mountain biking trail where you can stop and watch the lapping. In the end I did 3 laps and my friend did 2. I did the first lap, he did the next 2, then I did the last 2. The ITR handled BEAUTIFULY and was totally at home out there on "the 'Ring"

the "Karussell" is the top of the photo:
Old 08-24-2005, 09:55 AM
ED9man
driver

Very very cool :thumbup:
Old 08-24-2005, 09:55 AM
pythonscott
Nurburgring junkie

I got one of 2 videos up. there's no sound, but its about 29 seconds long. I'll get the other one loaded shortly.

CLICK HERE to go to the putfile.com page you can veiw the video on. If you don't have quick time on your computer go here for quick time alternatives.

about the video: it starts just after the last right hand corner before heading up to the Karussell corner. From there we climb up to the Karussell and get passed by a Porshe Carrera, but maintain speed with him thru Karussell. Just before entering the Karussell my friend swung the camera over to try to get a shot of the sign that has the name of the corner. If you have GT4 you can see these signs all around the track.

here's an arial photo of the Karussell

Ain't the Autobahn great?! Cruising at 220kph (136mph) on the way up to the Nurburgring. The best part is its perfectly legal! Two hands on the steering wheel!

This sign is along the Autobahn just before the exit you take to get up to The Ring

Yes, you may park your Ferrari Modena by the R

Laugh if you want at this Volvo, but it was rolling on R compound tires. Notice the Nurburgring sticker below the right tailight. Oh, and this guy had come down from England to run the Ring. Look at the line in front of us. Check out the traffic sign too...

"Zufahrt Nordschleife" = "Nordschleife Entrance". If you're looking at this sign, you're damn close to starting the drive of your life!

Karussell, one of the most famous corners of the track. At full throttle you stick to the banking like glue. I took this on our second lap while my friend was driving

End of lap2. Porshe Carrera GT3's were everywhere. You'd think they only cost $20,000 at the local used car lots. This one had dead sexy red wheels. You can barely see his Nurburgring sticker under the left side of the spoiler. Note the plate: from Italy. This is along the straight away where everybody slows down to exit. The sign show that the exit is just ahead.

end of lap 3. Hey, can you check my tire pressue too? ha ha, These people take it seriously, as they should. He was riding along in the black GT3 wich was in a group of about 3 GT3's and 3 M3 CSL's. I swear you've never seen so many cars in one place with R compounds.

this was lap 4. I believe this is the straight after the corner named Flugplatz. I'll have to go play the game and double check. HEY! wait a second... whats that at the end of the straight? Why its an Elise! Lets see if I can catch up...

Ha! caught up! here we're following the Elise through Aremburg corner (once again, need to double check on the game)

Still keeping up with the Elise. Here were climbing the hill after the Karussell. Sorry about all that dashboard and the flash.

Behind the Elise, just about to exit the track. You can see the cars veering to the left thru a break in the fence.Oh, the Elise was from Italy too.

lap 5, driving down thru Wipperman Corner. Weeee! This is nice long down hill sweeper. Check out all the people watching. Even a brautwurst stand to feed the hungry.

Power to weight... this Super 7 passed us like it was nothing as we pass through Pflanzgarten corner. Doesn't it look like some thing out of Mario Kart?!

Taken on the streets outside the track. Notice these people are looking at the R instead of the Enzo and F360. They know where its at!

damn mirror. My isn't the country side beautiful!

we took it in a roll on. oh wait, no street racing, sorry!

Just after passing the Enzo we turned into a gas station parking lot and there were Hondas from Italy pulling in too. 2 ITR's and an S2000. They are part of a Honda club in Italy and were really cool. I gave them a team-integra.net card. One guy had this JDM fronted PY ITR. Notice their lack of the rear fog light in the bumper. PY was never sold here, just CW, black and R-81 Milano Red. The PW ITR used to be black and had a full color change done when the front was installed and had some things shaved. You can see that the rear glass water sprayer was shaved along with the holes where the "Honda" badge goes. The CW ITR had tires to match the Advan sticker: 15" wheels with Yokohama Advan A032R tires The PW ITR had 16" Toyo RA-1 tires.

you can see the S-duece in the backgroud of this pic. Not sure what tires it was runnin.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:11 PM
jchez

Wow. Wow. What an experience that must have been. Thanks for sharing it with those excellent pics!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:14 AM
debogsr

Oh man i cant even imagine how tight that would be. Nice pictures.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:28 AM
2legit2quit
You Big Dummy

That's totally awesome. Thanks for sharing the cool story and posting the pics to go with it. I can't imagine seeing an Enzo just crusin down the road.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:12 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

wow, that's amazing. Just curious, what do the other drivers think of your type-r? Like what kind of reactions, questions etc... did you receive? Great pictures.

Also, how much is 15 euro in dollars?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:56 AM
slate13530

:jawdrop: :goodjob:
Old 10-05-2005, 08:29 PM
hakjai

Nice man, looks just like the spoon itr minus the jdm front. Nurburgring, thats one experience I probably wont have in my lifetime
Old 10-09-2005, 08:32 PM
hyeone

thats so sweet!!! the track looks just like it is in GT4.