Notices

Valve adjustment issue tip for those who been struggling.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:22 PM
speeda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve adjustment issue tip for those who been struggling.

All right yah, I been struggling with my stupid valve adjustment for the past month or so and I finally got it perfect. I am working on a low down guide right now so those of us who are still struggling with this (which lately more than a few of us have). Basically, the trick is to under stand what it means by "a slight drag", which I quote directly from the Helms manual. What I found out was that this "slight drag" means is that is has to be a snug fit to that spec and if you were to try to slip a larger gauge in then it won't fit. Let's say if you were doing an Intake valve adjustment for a GSR (.006-.007=Intake...........I use .006), make sure that you adjust the screw tight enough that the .006 gauge will be able to slide in and out there. Now take the .007 gauge and try to slide it in there. If the .007 do not fit in there but the .006 does, then you are good to go. Always use the next hight gauge to check the gap to make sure that it is precise because just by feeling the "slight drag" will not do you any good. I found out that tighter adjustment will make you car run like crap and loose adjustment will make the car sound like a freaking factory. That's all I have to say so PM me if you still have questions....
Old 08-19-2005, 07:53 PM
B18C Turbo

dude thats awsome! That actually makes sense I can't believe I didn't think of that. So you slip your .006" feeler gauge in, it goes in smooth, bu the .007 doesn't then your good to go on the intake side! Excellent!
Old 05-19-2006, 05:57 AM
kevyt

Originally Posted by speeda
All right yah, I been struggling with my stupid valve adjustment for the past month or so and I finally got it perfect. I am working on a low down guide right now so those of us who are still struggling with this (which lately more than a few of us have). Basically, the trick is to under stand what it means by "a slight drag", which I quote directly from the Helms manual. What I found out was that this "slight drag" means is that is has to be a snug fit to that spec and if you were to try to slip a larger gauge in then it won't fit. Let's say if you were doing an Intake valve adjustment for a GSR (.006-.007=Intake...........I use .006), make sure that you adjust the screw tight enough that the .006 gauge will be able to slide in and out there. Now take the .007 gauge and try to slide it in there. If the .007 do not fit in there but the .006 does, then you are good to go. Always use the next hight gauge to check the gap to make sure that it is precise because just by feeling the "slight drag" will not do you any good. I found out that tighter adjustment will make you car run like crap and loose adjustment will make the car sound like a freaking factory. That's all I have to say so PM me if you still have questions....
Thanks !!!
Old 05-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Tobra

Do it with the spark plugs out too
Old 05-21-2006, 01:39 PM
95LSv
Banded

Haha, I wish u would have said this earlier... I just did myne and I didn't know exactly what slight drap meant, so i used the same principle as u, and now valves are adjusted perfectly, no ticking
Old 05-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by 95LSv
Haha, I wish u would have said this earlier... I just did myne and I didn't know exactly what slight drap meant, so i used the same principle as u, and now valves are adjusted perfectly, no ticking
He did.

This thread is almost a year old.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:20 PM
95LSv
Banded

Oh crap :doh: lol, oh well, just glad my adjustment came out right
Old 05-25-2006, 10:48 AM
96tegls2dr

i just bought my teg and dont have a tick but i do have a valve swooshing sound. i talked to a buddy and he thinks it recently had a valve adjustment and should be ok but it just doesnt sound right to me. i think they may be a little tight if you ask me, has anyone else experienced this swooshing sound or know what i am talking about?