Notices

Turbo a 1999 Integra 4-door?

Old 08-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Yuneek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo a 1999 Integra 4-door?

Hey,

I have a friend who has a SRT Neon and it has a Turbo and Intercooler. I have absolutely no knowledge of cars (which is why I just signed up here) and I was wondering if I can add it to my 1999 Integra 4-door Automatic? How much horsepower will it give me? Will there be any downsides? Give me some information on this.

Regards,
Yuneek
Old 08-07-2005, 05:01 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

yes u can turbo basically anything and there are kits out there for the four door integra although personally i wouldnt spend the money on that for your car....from what ive heard the automatics just dont handle extra loads all that well in the teg...my recomendation is trade up for a manual then think about going turbo if ya want to
Old 08-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Yuneek

Originally Posted by rebeld
yes u can turbo basically anything and there are kits out there for the four door integra although personally i wouldnt spend the money on that for your car....from what ive heard the automatics just dont handle extra loads all that well in the teg...my recomendation is trade up for a manual then think about going turbo if ya want to
By saying trade up for a manual do you mean replace the transmission?

What I really want is what my friends 2005 (or maybe 2004) V6 Eclipse has. He just pushes his shift stick up to shift up or down to shift down, it's pretty cool and easy.

How much would a transmission like that cost me?
Old 08-07-2005, 06:04 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

ur talking about a sport shift...im not sure but i dont think that would be even possible for u to do in an integra without prolly swapping out the motor and everything because i dont see a sport shift tranny matching up to a b18...and second that sport shift still isnt nere as capable as a manual...its still just an automatic that u have a bit more control over...not to mention the transmission already shifts at the best points already. and by trading up i was refering to just buying a integra that had a manual.
you can do a manual swap but its alot of work and not for the unskilled.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:01 PM
WackyRicky
redoing the interior

I'd agree with what rebeld said.
Sure, it can be done and it'll add more power but automatic cars will always slower (and less fun to drive, in my opinion) than their manual counterpart. because auto tranny uses what's called torque converter which is basically a case filled with oil to transfer power from the engine to the tires as opposed to a clutch which is a solid disk that literally "clutches" the flywheel, there's a significant loss of power. There are automatic transmissions that let you select gear at will (sports shift, E-shift, sele-speed, whatever you may call it) but they still suffer from the power loss caused by the torque converter. BMW and some other exotic car companies have clutch-less manual transmission (BMW calls it SMG) available on some of their cars. (It actually has a clutch disk like a conventional manual car but it is controlled by a computer so there's no clutch pedal).

Driving stick isn't that hard after some practice and it is certainly more fun to drive! so unless you live in SF or have to drive all day every day, I'd say sell your auto teg and buy a manual one before you start making any modification to your car.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Yuneek

Originally Posted by rebeld
ur talking about a sport shift...im not sure but i dont think that would be even possible for u to do in an integra without prolly swapping out the motor and everything because i dont see a sport shift tranny matching up to a b18...and second that sport shift still isnt nere as capable as a manual...its still just an automatic that u have a bit more control over...not to mention the transmission already shifts at the best points already. and by trading up i was refering to just buying a integra that had a manual.
you can do a manual swap but its alot of work and not for the unskilled.
Well, I would have it professionally done.. how much would the tranny and installation cost me? A lot, huh?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by Yuneek
Well, I would have it professionally done.. how much would the tranny and installation cost me? A lot, huh?
a whole lot. just sell your car and get a manual.

and i recommend you go to www.howstuffworks.com and search:

turbo
engines
automobile
Old 08-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Yuneek

Originally Posted by :snoopy:
a whole lot. just sell your car and get a manual.

and i recommend you go to www.howstuffworks.com and search:

turbo
engines
automobile
I bought my car a month ago and it's financed for 3 1/2 years. There is no selling now.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I bought my car a month ago and it's financed for 3 1/2 years. There is no selling now.
Then I would get the idea of turbo out of your head unless you want to do an auto to manual tranny swap which will cause the value of the car to plummet like a rock.

The choice is yours, but you will toast that tranny with anything over 200hp.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:53 AM
92teg

By saying trade up for a manual do you mean replace the transmission?

What I really want is what my friends 2005 (or maybe 2004) V6 Eclipse has. He just pushes his shift stick up to shift up or down to shift down, it's pretty cool and easy.

How much would a transmission like that cost me?

Don’t get that crap! sport shift is still nothing more then an auto tranny that you tell when to shift. It still has the lag that an auto tranny dose when you shift at hi-RPMs. trust me it sucks. I got the 2000 eclipse when they came out and my mom got the same but the V6 with that crap. I could not stand to drive her car. FYI I sold my eclipse to move to the honda/acura family ..and on a side note, i have a 4 door GSR turbo and I spank the neon SRT and the V6 eclipse at the track. 4 door super sleeper. lollol