Notices

CV Boots Dry Rotted

Old 07-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Q2Ggirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Boots Dry Rotted

Is it better to have the dealership replace the CV Boots or any mechanic can do it? It cost like $600 plus tax? Is it worth it? I was told mine are dry rotted. Is it worth it?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Q2Ggirl
Is it better to have the dealership replace the CV Boots or any mechanic can do it? It cost like $600 plus tax? Is it worth it? I was told mine are dry rotted. Is it worth it?
$600?!?

The boot kits cost maybe $20 at the most. Taking out the axle to do the whole procedure shouldn't take more than an hour. Just take it to any competent mechanic and it shouldn't cost too much.

If you are mechanically inclined, I would recommend just throwing some rebuilt axles in with new boots.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Q2Ggirl

Thanks!!! The dealership said that $600 is only the price if the CV Boots are cracked and not split open. If the CV Joints were damaged, then it was going to cost twice as much!
Old 07-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

That's what I would reccomend too.

The only thing I use the dealership for are quick fluid changes (I'm prone to leaving the used oil in my garage for a couple months h: ) and occasional odd parts that I need that day.

Also, I hate to comment on this, but it always helps to take a guy (whether he be dad, friend, brother, boyfriend, etc.) with you. I get called by my female friends to help them when they go to mechanics' shops because nothing says money more to those people than a girl coming in saying "Something's broke, can you fix it?".
Old 07-11-2005, 01:15 PM
dubcac
I

Dealerships are ridiculous. Even replacing the entire axle wouldn't be that much. Autozone sells lifetime warranty replacement axles for well under $100 each.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Thanks!!! The dealership said that $600 is only the price if the CV Boots are cracked and not split open. If the CV Joints were damaged, then it was going to cost twice as much!
That is rediculous. A new axle from the dealership costs around $400, so why would the joints cost 3 times that. Screw the stealership and take it to a mechanic because it is obvious that they are taking advantage of you.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

TWICE as much?

For $1200 you could probably get like 3 pairs of axels installed :eek3:
Old 07-11-2005, 09:41 PM
AdNaMa585
Amanda Backwards

I would definitly take it somewhere else and take a guy with you. I was told that my CV boots were bad one time when I was getting tires put on my car. I took it to Sears because I work there and I get a discount on that stuff, but because I was a girl they assumed I knew nothing (which I really don't know that much about CV boots or joints to be honest) and tried to get me to get it fixed right away. I told them I'd have to check around for prices and I had my friend who is a mechanic check it out and they turned out to be fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. Since then, I will never take a car there again, or reccomend it to anyone (at least the Sears in my town). Anyway, long story short, get a second opinion.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by AdNaMa585
I would definitly take it somewhere else and take a guy with you. I was told that my CV boots were bad one time when I was getting tires put on my car. I took it to Sears because I work there and I get a discount on that stuff, but because I was a girl they assumed I knew nothing (which I really don't know that much about CV boots or joints to be honest) and tried to get me to get it fixed right away. I told them I'd have to check around for prices and I had my friend who is a mechanic check it out and they turned out to be fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. Since then, I will never take a car there again, or reccomend it to anyone (at least the Sears in my town). Anyway, long story short, get a second opinion.

One of my female friends was driving one day, got scared by a bus that jumped lanes suddenly, and popped both her tires against the curve. I headed out, gave her a tow with my AAA card, and had her taken to a shop that quoted me good price over the phone for some average Kuhmo tires. At first she walked into the tire shop herself. They then said they quoted her the wrong price and she would have to pay almost 2x as much ($600 for a set of Kuhmos 712s!!!) to get them replaced. Thank god she came out and got me, because I managed to bitch them back down to a *somewhat* reasonable price of $350 OTD, mainly cause I threatened to have her car towed to the next tire shop a block down h:
Old 07-12-2005, 08:18 PM
foot

"dealerships" or "independent shops" only have the quality of the people working there. The building and the name mean nothing. It's all about the people. One Honda dealership can be made up of people who believe in NOT ripping people new a-holes and other dealers can be complete crooks. I know the difference. Believe me, not all dealers will try to rip you off as this one appears to be trying to do.

The best thing anyone can do is learn enough about cars to keep someone from being able to take advantage of you.