Notices

So I Have A Bad ECM...

Old 06-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Spirish ITR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I Have A Bad ECM...

Hey Guys,
Well it's everyone favorite 2 year event in California...smog test. I went in and had it tested but the ECM was throwing a code for something in the EVAP system so it didn't pass. I looked up the code and finished the flow-chart in the owner's manual and apparently I have a bad ECM which is pretty uncommon from what I hear. I then went out and bought a used '97 JDM ECM which is actually really nice but the smog computer couldn't communicate with it so right now I'm kind of up a creek. I've been looking for a used 1998 ITR USDM ECM and can't find a single one. A new one is $700 which I just can't afford right now. Do you guys have any suggestions? Or is anyone in the southern California area (I'm in Thousand Oaks) who would want to let me borrow their ECM for half a day? I really don't know what else to do so any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:19 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

Are you sure you need an ECU? I rarely replace ECU's on Hondas and I see thousands a year come through my stall. Evap diagnosis can be tricky even for professionals. I've seen my share of problems and seen many good techs struggle with it too. If I can help let me know...
Old 07-08-2005, 04:36 AM
sensei

I have an '00 P73 ECU out of my ITR for sale, I don't know if it will work for you but if it does I'll sell it to you for $100 plus shipping and Paypal fee.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Spirish ITR

hondatech: I'm pretty sure. About 2 years ago I bought a diagnostic tool and it said the ecu was bad. But then I took it to the dealership and it was throwing a code for the evap system. I have the service manual and followed the flowchart and it after doing tests it said "replace with known good ecu" so I'm fairly certain it's the ecu. I bought a '97 JDM ECU and it's not throwing a code anymore. However, I'm not sure the code would even be thrown because the ECU is different.

sensei: Thanks for the offer, but the '00 ITR ECU immobolizer is different from the '98.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:14 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

Originally Posted by Spirish ITR
hondatech: I'm pretty sure. About 2 years ago I bought a diagnostic tool and it said the ecu was bad. But then I took it to the dealership and it was throwing a code for the evap system. I have the service manual and followed the flowchart and it after doing tests it said "replace with known good ecu" so I'm fairly certain it's the ecu. I bought a '97 JDM ECU and it's not throwing a code anymore. However, I'm not sure the code would even be thrown because the ECU is different.

sensei: Thanks for the offer, but the '00 ITR ECU immobolizer is different from the '98.
Most of the problems I see turn out to be bad pin fits at connectors on Hondas, maybe that's all you have and when you plugged the replacement ecu in it was good enough to not cause a problem. I would be checking that first..