Notices

What do you think of my engine build up?

Old 09-02-2002, 08:52 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My comments:
  • Any specific reason for the block guard?
  • 450cc/min injectors will require a good bit of tweaking to the fuel curve; I really don't see the need for anything higher flow than 310cc/min.
  • 404's idle like a Harley which combined with that light of a flywheel may present some driveability concerns. You can get an Exedy Organic clutch and chromoly 10-lb flywheel for $625 shipped from clutchcityonline.com.
  • What sort of exhaust system do you plan on running?
  • I would definately go for something beyond your adjustable fuel regulator (which you should keep btw) to allow for a bit more dyno tuning. A'PEXi S-AFC or Hypertech Shogun are both nice. The S-AFC looks a helluva lot nicer and has some graphical functions, the Shogun gives you the ability to play with your timing map more so than just spinning the distributor.
Old 09-02-2002, 04:29 PM
Hans Stoner
pimpin' south jersey

This is going in a 90 LS
Old 09-02-2002, 07:17 PM
pomansouth

if your not planning to go fi then you are wasting money on the p&p for the head
Old 09-03-2002, 08:26 AM
Hans Stoner
pimpin' south jersey

like the engine pics?
Old 09-03-2002, 08:51 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

What block guard is that? At least it has some water passages so you shouldn't have cooling issues. I'm still curious as to how you're going to get the thing running since a JET chip and a B&M FPR won't magically give you the right mixture with 450cc injectors.

Once it's all put together and running it'll be sick!
Old 09-03-2002, 09:58 AM
dubcac
I

Once again, p&p head is not a waste of money in an all motor application. I don't know where this idea came about, but I sure as hell after spending some cash on a setup like that would want a free flowing head to top it off.

Pics look great, as for your clutch worries I'd go with an ACT heavy duty with street disc...I love mine.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:36 AM
pomansouth

ok well please explain why port and polish is taken advantage of in a na motor as is compared to port matching
Old 09-03-2002, 03:15 PM
dubcac
I

Port & polish: Opening the ports in the head to accept more air, while polishing to keep a smooth and unturbulent air flow.

Port matching: Matching the ports on the intake manifold and exhaust manifold to the ports on the head, so they are the same size.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:14 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally posted by pomansouth
ok well please explain why port and polish is taken advantage of in a na motor as is compared to port matching
"Port and polish" isn't a particular item. Note that the words are verbs. This means that the head is ported (the ports are reshaped to optimize airflow) and polished (the metal surfaces are polished). Generally when someone has a "port and polish" job done there is an extensive rework of the ports, valve seats and combustion chambers. This is what we call "head work." If you send your head to a place like Portflow or something they'll take apart the head, rework the ports, polish everything, do a 3- or 5-angle valve job, deshroud the valve area, mill to spec to get a good mating surface with the block and then put it back together. If you want to send an intake manifold along to be matched to the cylinder head that's obviously doable, but a much shorter process.

As far as "how it's taken advantage of" a good head job--sounds funny I know--should add about 10 whp to a motor with i/h/e and cams.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:35 AM
pomansouth

aight i appreciate it but what should it give to a blown engine compared to a na engine or do you know with proper tuning

Quick Reply: What do you think of my engine build up?