Notices

Turbo-ing an Integra.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:12 PM
omega

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo-ing an Integra.

I was checking out some GS-R turbos and it seems that they loose some serious power in mid rpm range. I'm just wondering, is this always gonna happen or can you adjust it to get the engine to run smoother?

Also, if I was to rip the motor out, what's the best engine to put in that will fit. I know the GS-R is the B18c, is it worth it to stick in a Type-R B18c5. I heard that the Type-R engine isn't quite as good at taking a turbo, something like 5 psi, while the GS-R can take 7+. So if not the Type-R engine what's the best one outside of the Integra line of engine that will actiually fit? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:19 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

omega. What's up? Don't believe too much of what you hear. Turbo engines usually only lack power at the low end. By the time you get to the midrange power should be coming on fairly well. However an engine that wan't built for boost.... well I'll let someone else cover that.

Welcome to HAN man.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I am going to be running 10 psi daily driven on my setup once I get the wideband to tune it. The stock motor can handle maybe 14 psi on a track day, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you go much over 10 psi or so, you should really think about forged internals.

The powerband of a turbo setup usually has a soggy low end portion, but midrange and high end have a great deal of power. Mine has a good deal of power everywhere because it is a small, quick spooling turbo but it doesn't have the kick that a larger turbo would have in the high end. Turbo sizing is very important for where you want the powerband to be.

All the B-series take turbos well, but the tuning for each is critical. An LS is good because of the lower compression, so a larger margin of error for tuning is observed. A B18C5 motor has a much higher compression ratio, so tuning has to be more conservative to avoid detonation.

Whichever turbo setup you choose, make sure you don't skimp on engine management like most people do; it is the most important part of any turbo setup.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:34 PM
nextphase

just wrecked my gsr turbo. and i like the quick spool coming from my greddy. i think im going to take over my bro's ls turbo. its 245whp@5 psi off a rev t3 turbo .
Old 06-26-2005, 01:34 AM
nextphase

heres da wrecked gsr turbo
Old 06-26-2005, 04:40 AM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

sorry
Old 06-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Brar
|:]

Originally Posted by Shmoo
I am going to be running 10 psi daily driven on my setup once I get the wideband to tune it. The stock motor can handle maybe 14 psi on a track day, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you go much over 10 psi or so, you should really think about forged internals.

The powerband of a turbo setup usually has a soggy low end portion, but midrange and high end have a great deal of power. Mine has a good deal of power everywhere because it is a small, quick spooling turbo but it doesn't have the kick that a larger turbo would have in the high end. Turbo sizing is very important for where you want the powerband to be.

All the B-series take turbos well, but the tuning for each is critical. An LS is good because of the lower compression, so a larger margin of error for tuning is observed. A B18C5 motor has a much higher compression ratio, so tuning has to be more conservative to avoid detonation.

Whichever turbo setup you choose, make sure you don't skimp on engine management like most people do; it is the most important part of any turbo setup.
I’m going be getting a 92-93 b16 XSi swap for my g2 and am going to mod everything before putting it in, which means putting the turbo on before I put the engine in the car (because I figure this would be easiest for installing). So if I run it at 8psi (going to be a daily driver) I shouldn’t have to reinforce any internals? If I get camshafts and gears would they help? (Ignoring pistons) what other things can I do to reinforce the engine for turbo or to get better performance out of it? Would they help at all or would they just be a waste (for my setup)? Would they be more effective if I ran 10psi? And what kind of engine management would be good for this setup and where can I get them? Also what is the difference between a normal exhaust (cat back) to a turbo exhaust (cat back)? Because my friend is telling me that I need to get a turbo exhaust for a turbo, didn’t make any sense to me. Would the Greddy turbo be suitable for what my needs are? will I need a more suitable radiator? or will the stock one do it? Thank You!
Old 06-26-2005, 02:13 PM
BeatRippaa

hey shmoo, after addin a turbo does it cut down your gas milage by alot?
Old 06-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Brar
|:]

i dunno if its a lot, but it does cut it down...i think it depends on how much psi ur running and how hard u drive it.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:53 PM
shabacash
I'M SO JDM, I HAVE SARS

when u go turbo, you are running rich with more gasoline being sprayed through bigger injectors, the drop in ur milage would be considerable enough to notice it, but its not somthing of great worries.