Notices

ac condenser problem?

Old 06-15-2005, 03:46 PM
squee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac condenser problem?

Can someone advise me as to what a bad condenser may sound like? I am assuming its my ac because it happens when I turn the ac button on. Especially at high speeds, when I turn it on it makes a strange grinding chirping type of sound. Sound like an ac condenser?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:51 PM
SVT Russ
Las Vegas SEMA 2005:

Originally Posted by squee
Can someone advise me as to what a bad condenser may sound like? I am assuming its my ac because it happens when I turn the ac button on. Especially at high speeds, when I turn it on it makes a strange grinding chirping type of sound. Sound like an ac condenser?
I wonder if it is a squealing belt...maybe check belt tension (?)

Technically the condenser is the heat exchanger in front of the radiator...it has no moving parts. You were probably referring to the compressor?

Coincidentally, my teg is at the mechanic getting $700 in A/C repairs. New compressor, accumulator, belt, 134a retrofit, etc., etc.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Tobra

If it is a bad belt, you can look at it and get an idea, if it is shiny looking or cracked, it may be bad. When they dry out, they slip a little and make noise. There are belt dressings you can get, but if it looks old, replace it, and any other belts that are looking tired