Notices

car is bogging after replacing ECU

Old 06-15-2005, 01:27 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car is bogging after replacing ECU

About a month ago I swapped my Skunk2 ECU (that came with the car when I bought it) with a stock P72 ECU I bought off Ebay. Since then, the car doesn't run as rich as it had been. No more two-tone back bumper. However, I have noticed a big decrease in performance and the car seems almost bogged down at times. When I am on the highway, the car really drags in 4th and 5th now especially. It's like I can have the car floored in 5th or going from 4th to 5th, and it is really reluctant to rev past 4500 (vtec engagement). The car tops at like 90 mph now. What's the deal? With the other ECU, while the car didn't seem to run more efficiently, it definitely seemed quicker. I'd like to run my car at the track this year but the way things are going it isn't looking good...
Old 06-15-2005, 01:31 PM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a question...but did u when u installed it...did u sit there and let it sit for a while so it can calibrate or whatever it self
Old 06-15-2005, 05:15 PM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

yeah...i know when you reset an ecu your supposed to start the car up and let it idle for a bit, then shut the car off and start it up and go....maybe you need to do that?
Old 06-15-2005, 06:40 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Originally Posted by Jae Jae Binks
Just a question...but did u when u installed it...did u sit there and let it sit for a while so it can calibrate or whatever it self
Originally Posted by SP00NFed
yeah...i know when you reset an ecu your supposed to start the car up and let it idle for a bit, then shut the car off and start it up and go....maybe you need to do that?
I did exactly that, after having read old posts on what to do when swapping out/resetting the ECU. I started it up without touching the gas and let it idle for about 5 mins, then I started it back up.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:19 PM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

if i read your post better and your sig... i would have said this, a stock gsr ecu isn't going to make the car run to its full potential if you have type r cams and i/h/e...your better off with the skunk2 ecu because its programmed to dump more fuel and perform better. why did you take the skunk2 ecu out?? and are you sure you got the right ecu because g3 integras don't have a govenor and do well over 90
Old 06-16-2005, 01:16 AM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

I took the ECU out because even though my sig still says Type R cams I don't have them in there anymore. I had to have some work done and because one of the cams got damaged I had to swap back to stock cams. So my car was dumping all kinds of extra fuel with the stock cams. Are you saying that my ECU might not actually be stock and that it could be a piece of crap (like a lot of stuff they sell for our cars on ebay... )
Old 06-16-2005, 07:58 PM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

yup...this doesn't sound good for you, sounds like the biggest headache in the world. Sorry
Old 06-17-2005, 04:47 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Right now I am lost as to what to do next to solve this problem. I mean, I guess I can swap the Skunk2 computer back in to see if there is an increase in performance, but I will be back to the problem of poor fuel economy and not knowing if I am throwing codes...
Old 06-17-2005, 08:15 PM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

do you have a friend with a gsr, if so borrow his ecu for an hour or two and see how it works. Are you selling your Skunk2 chipped ecu?
Old 06-18-2005, 12:30 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

All of my buddies with gsr's are OBD2 and I have a '94 so I am running OBD1. I might be interested in selling my skunk2 tuned P28 ECU soon. I bought a replacement Type R cam so I have both intake and exhaust cams now, but I haven't put them in my car as of yet. I might just sell those as well... :rick: