Notices

major problems help please

Old 06-15-2005, 11:50 AM
mr.crx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major problems help please

ok everybody i just bought a 90 integra and it has a b20b in it.and i went to the track the other night and ran it a few times and then i went to go again and when i tried to start it it wouldnt start and i checked the fuel pressure and there was none so i figured that my fuel pump was bad. but then i got it to start and went to staging and it died before i got up there and wouldnt start and it seemed as if it didnt have anypower to turn the motor. so i pushed it back an hooked up some jumper cables and it started right up so i decided to take off and head for home. we got about a mile and it died on me so we put the cables on it again and then i got about 5 or 6 miles and it did it again. i want to think that it is a wiring problem but i am just lost i thought maybe it could be a main relay going bad. any help would be greatly apprciated thanks.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:21 PM
SVT Russ
Las Vegas SEMA 2005:

Charging/alternator problems? Set a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running. If you aren't getting at least 13 volts, you have charging issues.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:09 PM
92teg

Originally Posted by SVT Russ
Charging/alternator problems? Set a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running. If you aren't getting at least 13 volts, you have charging issues.

thats what i would say it is.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:36 PM
mr.crx

ya but that doesnt explain the fact the i had no fuel pressure. does the main relay have anything to do with the alternator??
Old 06-15-2005, 01:54 PM
SVT Russ
Las Vegas SEMA 2005:

If you were getting no fuel pressure with the key in the ignition (engine off), the fuel pump probably wasn't getting power (dead battery/bad charging).

You must have had fuel pressure when you were running the car, even for a short distance...otherwise, the engine wouldn't have run at all...evidence still suggests a charging issue, unless maybe there is other info.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by mr.crx
ya but that doesnt explain the fact the i had no fuel pressure. does the main relay have anything to do with the alternator??
How were you checking the fuel pressure?
Old 06-16-2005, 10:47 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

That sure sounds like a dying main relay. After 15 years, I'd expect it to be the root of your problem.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 06-16-2005, 01:11 PM
mr.crx

yes that is what i have come to some times it would start and some times it wouldnt and i wouldnt get fuel pressure then i would. it was really odd i have a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel filter