Notices

Finding a short or defective circuit?

Old 06-09-2005, 08:59 PM
The Question

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding a short or defective circuit?

How difficult is it to find a short or defective circuit? I am having trouble with my car, code p1297. Fuse 15 (alternator/vehicle speed sensor) is always blowing and the fuse connector stay of that has been damage due to the blow.
So my alternator seems and feels like it is not working properly. But I called the dealer and told them the problem, and they said it will take a lot of time and that i may have to leave the car overnight or so.
Does anybody know about this electric problem I have, or did anyone go through this and fix it?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:03 AM
Carfan1

From my experience diagnosing wiring shorts can take 30 minutes or 4 hours. It just depends where it is broken. It is also very frustrating, if you don't know a lot about wiring and have a good diagram I would take it to a dealer or repair shop.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:10 AM
carta79
Life after death

I believe that's a problem with the ELD(p1297), electronic load detector.
Possible causes: Electronic load detector, electronic load detector circuit, ECM.

Low voltage problem.
Give me time to look it up. What year is your Integra by the way?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:21 AM
carta79
Life after death

1. Do the ECM reset procedure.
2. Start the engine.
3. Turn on headlights

If code P1297 is still indicated you have to check for a short in the wire. Measure voltage between body ground and the ELD 3P connector terminal No.3.

If there's appox. 5V you will need to replace the ELD. If not then you would have to check for continuity at the ECM side.

It's strange that you would have to leave the car overnight at the dealer. I'm sure they must take their time.

Check voltage between body ground and ELD connector terminal 1, with ignition switch on (II)and headlights off. Is there battery voltage?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:24 AM
The Question

I tried the ECM reset procedure, started the engine, headlights on, and code p1297 is still there.
I have the trouble shooting of code p1297 and wiring diagram, but I don't know much or anything about electrics, so I don't think I can manage.
I told the dealer the problem, that code p1297 is present, and that my alternator seems like it is dying and isn't charging the battery, like everything electric in the car is flickering such as the dash instrument lights, headlight, etc...
The dealer said it will take a lot of time and may even take overnight, and I do not want to leave the car there too long, especially not overnight, plus it will be more costly. I really can not just leave my car overnight, im worried about theft. I've heard stories about break ins theft in some dealers and also inside job theft at some dealer.
Oh by the way, my integra is a year: 2000.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:32 AM
The Question

Also i have an individual mechanic who looked at it and told me that there is a short that is causing the problem to the alternator. He specifically told me that the alternator is fine, no need of replacing, but the alternator just seems wrong because there is most likely a short causing that or a defective circuit.
And also i do not know if I need to mention, but my vss isn't working properly too because of the fact the fuse #15 is both alternator/vss.
Only electric modification done to the car is aftermarket alarm and radio, but I swap'd in the oem radio (plug and play)...
Old 06-10-2005, 11:35 AM
gryzing

dude, unless you know how to read schematics you're probably gonna have a rough time figuring out the issue. leaving your car overnight at a dealership??? what the heck... why would you be scared. I'd rather trust the dealership than a greasy mechanic from Midas... anywho just my two cents.