Notices

Need help picking a turbo for 96 GSR

Old 05-02-2005, 10:58 AM
The Baller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help picking a turbo for 96 GSR

I have a 96 GSR and am looking to add a turbo to my setup. My question is will I have to get a turbo kit for a type r because I have a skunk 2 intake manifold? Also does anybody know of any sites that have cheap prices for new or used turbo kits? Thanks. Current setup: Stage 2 clutch, Skunk 2 Intake Manifold, AEM SRI, Magnaflow Exhaust.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:15 AM
hawaii_boy71

there is no cheap turbo kits
Old 05-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

What state are you in, and what are your goals?

You cannot use a kit designed for an ITR because the exhaust manifold bolts up differently. You would need a kit designed for a GS-R, but with some custom piping to make it so the Skunk2 manifold fits.

There are no cheap turbo kits. There are junkyard turbo setups you can assemble for cheap, but that's a ghetto solution.

But before we get there, what are your goals?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Ziken
RACE USE ONLY

when he means cheap, i think he means the cheapest turbo kit he can get
Old 05-04-2005, 03:38 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Cheapest you can get would be build your own, I'm educatededed guessing.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:48 PM
greengsr2k

Originally Posted by The Baller
I have a 96 GSR and am looking to add a turbo to my setup. My question is will I have to get a turbo kit for a type r because I have a skunk 2 intake manifold? Also does anybody know of any sites that have cheap prices for new or used turbo kits? Thanks. Current setup: Stage 2 clutch, Skunk 2 Intake Manifold, AEM SRI, Magnaflow Exhaust.
BRO JUST GET A LS KIT. THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD WILL BOLT ON. I BOUGHT A GREDDY TURBO KIT LS KIT FOR MY 00 GSR WITH SKUNK 2 INTAKE MANIFOLD. I DID RESEARCH AND THE LS KITS ARE THE BEST KITS TO MAKE IT WORK FOR THE GSR WITH SKUNK 2 INTAKE MANIFOLD. PLEASE VERIFY IM CORRECT GUYS. THE ONLY THING THAT MIGHT NEED MODIFICATIONS IS THE CHARGE PIPE, I BELIEVE NEED TO BE EXTENDED.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by greengsr2k
BRO JUST GET A LS KIT. THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD WILL BOLT ON. I BOUGHT A GREDDY TURBO KIT LS KIT FOR MY 00 GSR WITH SKUNK 2 INTAKE MANIFOLD. I DID RESEARCH AND THE LS KITS ARE THE BEST KITS TO MAKE IT WORK FOR THE GSR WITH SKUNK 2 INTAKE MANIFOLD. PLEASE VERIFY IM CORRECT GUYS. THE ONLY THING THAT MIGHT NEED MODIFICATIONS IS THE CHARGE PIPE, I BELIEVE NEED TO BE EXTENDED.

3 things:

1) No caps
2) What research did you do? GReddy kits are anemic, and should only be bought if you want a easy install that's CA legal. There's a half dozen faster and cheaper kits out there that are better in every respect except for CARB exemption.
3) Why the hell are you reccomending a bolt on kit for a car he doesn't have? What justification do you have for suggesting he eliminate the only benefit of a GReddy kit by putting it onto a car that will make it's CARB legality null and void?
Old 05-04-2005, 06:27 PM
greengsr2k

back off epoch
Old 05-04-2005, 10:03 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

B-Series exhaust sides are the same. Intake manifold bolt pattern is different...
-PHiZ
Old 05-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Chizzy

what's CARB legality? can you get decent turbo kits that are not illegal in canada due to smog restrictions...specifically Vancouver, BC