Notices

AEM Water Bypass

Old 08-30-2002, 11:03 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK here is the story on the AEM air bypass valve. Mods we should make an archive on this if it has not been done already...this has been posted often.

The air bypass valve has been proven to stop the flow of water up the intake only when the filter has been completely submerged in water. To my knowledge AEM has not published any test results when water is splashed on the filter as to whether or not the bypass valve works.

Also to my knowledge, AEM has not published any dyno sheets comparing the intake with the bypass valve and without it. There is no proof that the bypass valve reduces the increases in HP & TQ over an intake without it. Conventional wisdom here does sugest that the valve would decrease performance because the smooth contours of the intake are now interupted by the bypass valve thus causing turbulance in the intake. However this has yet to be prooven.

Rule of thumb with a CAI...be carefull when driving in the rain/snow regardless of whether or not you have the bypass valve installed or not. I would also take it easy over puddles. For those that do have the bypass valve installed you may drive your car through small rivers, ravine's, creeks, and large puddles of 1' or more (depending on suspension drop) and feel safe that AEM has successfully tested their air bypass valve and that you will not suck water up into your engine. So unless you plan on driving in any of the above conditions you may not need the air bybass valve.

My recommendation if sucking up water is that important to you...go with Comptech...they guarantee the Ice Box will not suck up water in any conditions.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:23 AM
newgsrdriver

This is the thing people dont seem to understand when saying that it was only tested when the filter is submerged...

Thats because thats the only time hydrolock occurs. If your filter is properly cleaned/oiled, than you dont have to worry about splashes of water....it just gets vaporized. Submersion is what you have to worry about, and with the BPV, submersion becomes no concern in terms of safety...so it does its job in preventing hydrolock.

In terms of losses...look at its design. Theres no way that valve causes major losses from an intake that only has a few whp to spare anyway!?!
Old 08-30-2002, 11:34 AM
tuxwarrior

I hydrolocked my motor about a year and a half ago. I had to buy a new motor. And now I use a bypass valve. I dont care about the loss of two horsepower.

1997 Integra GS-R reborn..
Old 08-30-2002, 09:24 PM
pomansouth

and also you can take it off at the track and put a piece of rubber hose with clamps on either end to cover it and make it one pipe again if you really think it takes power away