Notices

Rear sway bar question...

Old 04-09-2005, 03:15 PM
emspilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear sway bar question...

I currently have a 14mm rear sway bar on my Integra. I was thinking of upgrading it to a 19mm. I don't really want to push it by going to the 22mm. Too much frame stress. Anyway, how much of a noticeable improvement will I see going from 14 to 19mm?? Has anyone done this?
Current suspension mods; Skunk2 springs (drop 1.6F/0.8R), AGX shocks, Type R front strut bar.
Thanks....
Old 04-09-2005, 04:03 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

you should notice a little difference on how the car handles, You can always get a 22mm sway bar and get the Beaks reinforcement kit. The Kit is only $65.00
Old 04-09-2005, 04:25 PM
emspilot

I've considered the 22mm bar and the reinforcing kits, but after reading all the searches I did in here I saw the risks are still kind of high. That's why I figured the 19mm would be a good compromise.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Don't bother unless you go with a 22mm. You won't have to worry about ripout if you properly reinforce the subframe. I have the comptech sway/tie bar combo (22mm) and I have not had any problems with tearout or car control.

Are you worried about car control or subframe tearout?
Old 04-10-2005, 02:49 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the rest of your suspension was stock, you'd notice a pretty significant difference... with those springs and shocks, going to a 19mm will probably not be very drastically different.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:15 PM
TeHJuSTiN
NAM #0001

I have ASR setup, and haven't had a problem yet. This is with the 22mm though.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:45 PM
carta79
Life after death

I've actually been a victim of uncontrollable snap over steer with the Comptech swaybar on the stiffest setting. But that's what I get for getting on the throttle as I exited a somewhat sharp turn. The rear end of my Integra swung right to left three times before going into a 180 degree spinout into the oncoming traffic lane.

Lucky for me this happened on a empty street because somebody could have easily T-boned me. It was strange because it didn't even feel like I was speeding when this incident occurred. I was just speeding up as exited a turn. So sad though because I almost counter steered out of it and ended up smashing the front bumper. I did noticed wet leaves on the street but I don't think that was the problem.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by carta79
I've actually been a victim of uncontrollable snap over steer with the Comptech swaybar on the stiffest setting. But that's what I get for getting on the throttle as I exited a somewhat sharp turn. The rear end of my Integra swung right to left three times before going into a 180 degree spinout into the oncoming traffic lane.

Lucky for me this happened on a empty street because somebody could have easily T-boned me. It was strange because it didn't even feel like I was speeding when this incident occurred. I was just speeding up as exited a turn. So sad though because I almost counter steered out of it and ended up smashing the front bumper. I did noticed wet leaves on the street but I don't think that was the problem.
I have mine on the medium setting and that is all I need. The stiffest setting would increase the likelihood of uncontrollable oversteer like you stated and subframe tearout going over uneven roads. Keep it on medium and don't go higher if you want to keep it safe for public roads. If you are racing, it is a completely different story though.