Notices

Cheap thrills for my ride (newb ?'s)

Old 04-04-2005, 02:00 AM
themilman
Wookie Nation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap thrills for my ride (newb ?'s)

Aight, first time, have read rules, have used the search tool, don't believe everything I've read, so far so good.

I have a 91 Integra LS, I have minimal funds (don't we all?).

I have read on this site that:

- Imitation exhaust on Ebay sucks.
- Imitation high flow cat on Ebay sucks.
- Underdrive Pulley's do nothing/and or are unbalanced and will screw up
your bearings AND that Unorthodox is a good company for pulleys AND
that this whole balance/unbalance is a myth
- Nothing about throttle spacers

And so there went most of my inexpensive mods I haven't done that I thought might add HP (I have CAI).

My goal is to add HP, just for a little more seat of pants excitement.

My newb questions are as follows, all answers backed by actual factual knowledge are appreciated. If it can be avoided, answers such as "I heard that stuff was crap from my sisters cousin bro" should be kept to oneself.

1.) At what level, in dollars $$, do I have to reach, in the realm of exhaust (exhaust, header, Cat), to be getting something that will actually add HP, and not be that loud (wife) (examples & links appreciated, this can be individual or complete system info, such as "get a greddy exhaust for a $100 and you'll get 5HP, etc.).

2.) I read on this site that Underdrive Pulley's do nothing and/or screw up your bearings. Is this true? If so, why do reputable companies make them? What HP can I expect, and, again, examples & links appreciated.

3.) OBX ("Votex") and another company ("Helix Power Tower") make a 1" throttle body spacer that is supposed to increase air speed and create a swirling air affect to enhance combustion. Both companies have Dyno results. This is not the TORNADO I'm talking about that mounts on the air intake so don't get your man-panties in a wad and start spouting. My actual question: Does this work? At all? If not, why would OBX make it? And, why does it seem to sell reasonably well?
OBX - www.historyofcars-a.com/items/7948461182.html
Other - www.performanceproducts.com/ProductPage.aspx?productID=103211&productName=Heli x+Power+Tower&producttype=20

Thanks for all info, and I promise more brevity in future posts.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:51 AM
civicandtegra

i have a 91 ls congratz is it 5sp.
lets get these out of the way first how healthy is your motor, how many miles...
u wont find a exhaust for 100 i wish i could, for a brand name your lookin in the price range of $400-$600 (hks for a 91 is 6 something outragous) anyways i have seen dynos where a brand exhaust can get 20 hp (hytech very expensive) same with headers they are around $300-$400 i have seen dc sports is a good company.
if your motor is old save out and rebuild or if it about to die get a motor swap in future thats the best way to get a decent difference, us 91 ls guys dont have the magic called vtec, if i could i would send u my back copies of importtunner they always dyno testing new products, oh forgot to mention there are ways to cheat the dyno so u cant go buy what the company says. hope this helps and chech import tunners website(dont remember the site name) they sould have some dyno tests on there good luck and have fun with the 91
Old 04-04-2005, 10:59 AM
themilman
Wookie Nation

Thanks for the info.

Engine has 141k on it, runs well, no smoke, no oil burning, decent mpg, doesn't run hot, etc. I have replaced the fuel injectors with new OEM injectors, besides that, no engine work.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Rhawn

in my honest opinion, exhausts that have 3 inch tubing etc. are a waste of money. i drive a modded b18b1 in my civic (DC 4-2-1 headers, high flow cat and OFF-BRAND midas exhaust, nice and quiet, the civic is pushing 14.5 in 1/4. i honestly think that a huge muffler that makes that obnoxious noise is not worth the money. the exhaust tip on the civic is around 2 inch's in diameter. dont spend too much on the muffler, get a good DC header and high flow cat (may have issues with the O2 sensor) and just get some midas exhaust.

Im willing to do a dyno with anyone in tucson AZ to try to prove my point, that your exhaust (catback) wont improve the numbers the civic is pushing compared to my cheap midas exhaust. and ill even do the work, just bring your cat back!
Old 04-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Rhawn

issues with O2 sensor that i have is that the check engine light comes on when im cruisin and let off the gas pedal, doesnt effect anything tho, just trips the circut for the engine light thats all.