Notices

Do most of you guys just get 2 new front tires instead of all 4?

Old 03-05-2005, 04:16 PM
newgsrdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good post obsidian.

Want to get power to the ground? Best tires up front.

Want to stop sooner? Best tires up front.

As mentioned earlier, if you rotate your tires frequently, you shouldnt have this 2 or 4 tire issue. I replace all 4 at once, and theyre usually all 4 equally dogged.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:50 PM
DiAbLo3785
Working on project CRX Si

Originally Posted by Vanishing
In front wheel drive cars it is recommended to have your two tires with the most traction mounted on the rear.
....anyone ever see those fwd drag races with the obviously bigger tires that obviously have more traction in the front of the car?
Old 03-05-2005, 09:05 PM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

i'd say get all new four and rotate them when they should be done so you'll have nice new tires and you'll know when its time for new ones again
Old 03-07-2005, 07:13 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shmoo
There is no reason you should be doing e-brake turns when you know your tires are bald in the first place, or anywhere on the street for that matter.
That's true, but I said that to help explain what would happen in a panic stop with the bad tires on the back. When you do a handbrake turn you EXPECT it to happen & your reaction times are better.

When you stop hard, the car's weight shifts towards the front, pressing the front wheels down & giving them better traction. The rears get un-weighted, & if you're going around a curve at the time, it'll oversteer badly - quickly, too. (Trailing-throttle oversteer.)

If the rear tires are close to the same condition as the front it's OK. If the rears are much worse, it happens earlier, more suddenly, & it's difficult to recover from this.

Any taildragger pilots out there? I think ground-loops would be a better example.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I understand where you are coming from now. You do have a very good point but I would rather go into oversteer than understeer any day and with the baldies on the front, an understeer is more likely to happen.