Notices

Really WEIRD electrical problem...

Old 08-24-2002, 04:21 PM
G2Integrity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really WEIRD electrical problem...

Ok, so today I took out my headliner and stuff. To do this you have unbolt the dome light and the passenger lights, but not unplug them. So while I'm doing this I was a moron and left the door open (dome light on) for 3-4 hours. So I'm like, crap, my battery might die. But the car started up fine and everything. Here's what's weird...

*The clock said 1:00 and started to count upwards. But when I turned on the passenger light, the dome light, or the radio, the clock went off and "door open" light went on (on the dash). But both my doors were shut. Also, the passenger light/dome light did not actually turn on. When I turn it off, the clock comes back on and the "door open" light shuts off. But the clock is back at 1:00. Also, the radio turns on, but the sound doesn't come on except for a faint whisper if I turn it WAY up.

What could this be? A weak battery? I drove on the highway for like 15 minutes to charge it, but the same thing happened. Could some wires have gotten crossed? I don't see how, because I never unplugged anything and all I did was take out the headliner.

Somebody help, I'm really confused...
Old 08-24-2002, 09:04 PM
drdavidge

holy ****, thats friggin WEIRD. i dont know what could have possibly happened, did you mess with any wires at all?
Old 08-24-2002, 09:35 PM
G2Integrity

Originally posted by drdavidge
holy ****, thats friggin WEIRD. i dont know what could have possibly happened, did you mess with any wires at all?
No, that's the thing. I went back and checked today and all the wires are just where they should be. I don't get it. Someone said maybe I messed up a ground wire or something, but I have no idea how to go about diagnosing and repairing that.
Old 08-24-2002, 10:19 PM
RpG~^_^~LauRnO

not enough bettery maybe.

just drive it around without using any electrics... after a couple days should be fine
Old 08-25-2002, 06:00 AM
pomansouth

it cant be battery because your alternator will charge your battery with in 30 mins and it crunk up fine he said so i must not be the battery. but sometimes if you take a old battery too low in resources then it will just go dead on its own very shortly
Old 08-25-2002, 06:01 AM
pomansouth

i meant slowly
Old 08-25-2002, 06:36 AM
95TEGyoure it
Billy Sexcrime

if you know someone who has access to a VAT40. it would show you if your system is dragging or lagging from that rewiring, that could help
Old 08-25-2002, 11:21 AM
Charged-GSR

sounds like a wire may have gotten too hot when the dome light was on for 3 hours . you need a wiring diagram and go check all the splices and grounds for the components your having problems with. thats a big problem with car wiring the dome lights and such arent designed to be on for extended periods of time like 3-4 hours
Old 08-25-2002, 03:13 PM
G2Integrity

Well, it isn't just the dome light. That, the passenger lights, and the radio all cause the clock to go off and re-set. They also make the door open light come on. I mean, four seperate wires cannot be crossed. I figured it might be a weak battery too, but it started up just as quick as usual and then I drive it on the highway for about 25 miles and it still did the same thing. I'm just baffled.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:15 PM
Kavikgold

its a ghost haunting you for you misdeeds

Quick Reply: Really WEIRD electrical problem...