Notices

Is this car worth the purchase?

Old 01-17-2005, 08:11 PM
super_mut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this car worth the purchase?

Well I'm located in Southern California and I work at a Honda/Acura shop. I'm still relatively new to Hondas and Acuras but, since I want to get into motorsports my shop owner and boss told me that I should buy an Integra because they are relatively cheap to mod out. I'm looking into going into SCCA sanctioned Auto-Cross events. My real passion are Subarus, however they are too expensive to race at the moment. So I asked the guy some questions and basically what it turned out to be is a 1994 Black Acura Integra LS for $3300. What I am getting is an a clean titled car but, the body is a little beat up. It needs paint really badly and the left quarter panel looks like it should be replaced. The interior is spick span and the motor seems strong. It has 2005 California tags and has been smogged, but he hasn't registered it for smog yet. He said the smog title is still good for 90 days so, I dont know if hes going to get it done or not. Looks like a decent car and I'm thinking about buying it. I'm going to go see the car this week and if I like it I'm going to get my mechanic to inspect it for me, since we are going to build it together. Here are some photos if ya'll would like to take a look. Oh, I forgot it's also lowered on some tenzo r coilovers are they any good? I know that auto-cross requires a lot of suspension work. I'm going to spend most of my budget on suspension and brakes anyways...tell me what you guys think. Thanks for your time.

Left Quarter Panel (REPLACE OR FIXABLE?)

The Car In Its Entirety
Old 01-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I see only red x's. It sounds like a decent deal from the description but since I can't see the damage in the pics, I could be entirely wrong. What exactly are your plans for it?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:32 PM
super_mut

Fixed it, well my goal is to build a SCCA Auto-Cross car. I don't know what class yet, if I purchase this car I'm probably going to have 6k to spend on modifications. I'm thinking maybe just going with a CF lip, rear spats, new grill, type R wing for exterior...the thing thats getting me is that damage to the left rear quarter panel the guy said an estimate of $800 to fix. I don't know if I can get hooked up on a good price for replacement because my mechanic knows a lot of people. So tell me what you think ya'll?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

That damage will require a new quarter panel to be welded on, blended with bondo, and painted. The price seems fair. I would keep looking though. I bought my GSR cherried with 107,000 mi for $6,400. If you only have 6k for mods, skip the exterior shit (except for repairing the damage) and focus on the engine/suspension. And it looked like the guy put a barbeque on and took it off, so the trunk will need to be replaced or the holes filled.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:15 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Keep searching. Even for auto-x, that car is a tad rough.

And any Tenzo-R product is crap.
I guarantee you the spring perches will sieze on those coilover sleeves.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 01-18-2005, 04:27 PM
tonto0808

keep searching, be patient and get the best bang for your buck. why buy a car that you have to spend money on fixing the outside, when it could go to mods, plus you say it has already been lowered and the body is beat up. somewhere along the road the owner drove it hard. think about it this way. instead of spending 800 just to fix the rear quarter panel which still leaves the rest of the body to be fixed apply that towards a teg which is in better shape
Old 01-18-2005, 06:18 PM
super_mut

Well, ya'll convinced me...the quest continues!!! At least theres more selection than when I was trying to buy my Subaru 2.5 RS 98-01. If you guys see anything holla at me! bookshelf101@yahoo.com
Old 01-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by super_mut
Well, ya'll convinced me...the quest continues!!! At least theres more selection than when I was trying to buy my Subaru 2.5 RS 98-01. If you guys see anything holla at me! bookshelf101@yahoo.com
Yeah I wouldn't mind having a turbo'd one of those. But yeah, keep searching because it will pay off. There are tons of Integras out there and I am sure you will find one cheap that will fit your needs. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:13 AM
BONE

The only way I would buy that car is to get him to lower the price of the car to make up for the difference to fix it. Offer him 2,000 and see what he says.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:44 AM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

i'd keep looking if i were you