Notices

Manufacturer's recommended maintenance?

Old 01-05-2005, 06:47 PM
hepcat65000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manufacturer's recommended maintenance? - Acura stretching truth?

I need some car advice about when my car should have transmission fluid and coolant changed -- and why the manufacturer is so liberal.

I got a $454.70 quote from a local reputable mechanic (never gone there before) for a 30k mile checkup on my 2001 Acura Integra LS. Some of the major cost was to:

1. flush transmission fluid
2. flush coolant ($105 quote -- $75 labor and $30 parts)

After talking to a different mechanic my parents go to, they said the above was not necessary according to their database.

When I talked to the Acura dealership, they quoted me $550, but for what I assume was less service! They thought I should:

1. flush transmission fluid, yes....
2. but not to flush coolant -- they do this at 45k miles!

What I don't understand is my owners manual says:

1. "replace transmission fluid every 120k miles"
2. "replace engine coolant every 120k miles"

Other items to do according to my manual, and included in the above quotes:

Check engine oil and coolant
Replace air cleaner
Inspect, adjust brakes
Replace brake fluid
Check parking brake
Rotate tires
Visually inspect lots of stuff like tie-rods, fluids, and hoses

From what both the first mechanic and Acura said, waiting to replace transmission and coolant fluids that long is not good. Is the manual accurate? I've read on the Internet to replace coolant as early as every other year! So what gives? Is this because I have "long-life antifreeze" -- and is that worth it?

Thanks,
Stephen

Last edited by hepcat65000; 01-06-2005 at 05:16 AM. Reason: added "LS" to car description
Old 01-05-2005, 07:01 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Well, coolant does begin to degrade over time. In addition to a specific mileage interval for coolant flushing, there's also a time interval. So given the car is four years old, I'm not surprised that they recommend flush and filling a tad early.
That said, $105 seems a tad steep. h:

Now the tranny flush seems odd. :eh: Unless the time interval for replacement is around four to five years, I too wonder why they are inclined to replace the tranny fluid.

I'm positive there's a time interval listed in the owner's manual also..h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 01-05-2005, 07:09 PM
hepcat65000

Default does your manual say this, too?

Thanks, NorCal.

What I don't understand is my owners manual doesn't have a time interval, just mileage... and to reiterate, it indeed says:

1. "replace transmission fluid every 120k miles"
2. "replace engine coolant every 120k miles"

Am I misreading this or is it a misprint? Someone please verify this is what your manual says, too.

I'll admit, this is my first new car and I'm a bit oblivious.

Last edited by hepcat65000; 01-05-2005 at 07:12 PM. Reason: clarified text
Old 01-06-2005, 06:16 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Every item in my manuals give a mileage & time interval. For example 30k miles or 24 months, across the top couple rows in that big table of maintence intervals.

30k miles on a 2001 is kinda low. Maybe you fall under any of the conditions that should kick you into the 'severe' driving schedule??

Carmakers get a lot of pressure from the EPA & from marketing, to stretch longer maintence intervals. Putting less used oil/antifreeze/whatever into the environment is a good idea, but all they really care is the engine survives thru the warranty period. They don't always care whether it lasts 5,000 or 100,000 miles beyond the end of the warranty.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:26 AM
hepcat65000

Default Acura manual SUPPLEMENT

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback.

So I found out why my manual has odd recommendations for changing fluids at 120k. Acura published a supplement to their manual which recommends a different maintenance schedule, much different than the 45k for coolant and 90k for transmission fluid under the original manual. I was looking at the supplement. Take a look at this page for Honda/Acura manuals, including the one I downloaded:
http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/

In the original manual:

Normal driving conditions:
45k for coolant
90k for transmission fluid

Severe driving conditions:
45 for coolant
30k for transmsission fluid (and every 30k after that)

-- the difference for transmission fluid is amazing, and probably accounts for why everyone recommends something different.

Still not sure why the supplement has different recommended maintenance.

Thanks,
Stephen
Old 01-06-2005, 05:59 PM
hepcat65000

So I got my manual back from the dealer (the one I was using above I got from the Internet) and discovered that, lo and behold, it does say:

Replace engine coolant: 120k or 120 months
Replace transmission fluid: 120k or 72 months

Does no one care that Acura is recommending such a long interval, yet it appears most mechanics (and especially dealers) are going by conventional wisdom? What does Acura have to say about this?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:57 PM
dubcac
I

Minor tune ups are very easy...replacing fluids is very easy. No way does it cost that much in parts or labor. Do it yourself. I always thought tranny fluid was a 40k service...:thinking:
Old 01-06-2005, 07:00 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

yea, the stealership will definitely get you on minor maintenence. i always thought tranny fluid was 37K mile intervals (or shorter, depending on driving habits).

and if you have some wrenching skills, you could even check the clearances between the cams and the rocker arms.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:02 AM
hepcat65000

Default Do you not trust Acura's recommendations?

Ok, everyone seems to keep saying 30-45k miles is recommended to change transmission and coolant. Who has a 2001 Integra and actually follows the maintenance manual? Do you not trust it?

Meaning, you wait until 120k to change the coolant?

Or everyone on here does it themselves, and it is so cheap, it doesn't really matter what Acura says?
Old 01-07-2005, 06:20 AM
badboy58

A lot of people just do it themselves cause it is not hard at all. I have done it at least once every 2 years since i have had my 94 integra.