Notices

Rotor Help

Old 12-13-2004, 12:23 PM
WhtSolR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Help

Ok I have a little brake problem I need some input on. I have a S body Del Sol Converted to b18c5 and jdm dc2 suspention, steering and braking.

So I have the very unusual setup of 96' 4 lug 114.3 lugs. Does anyone know the specs for replacement? Or another car that is the same? I heard prelude 4th gen?

Also I am running Sumotomo Tires not sure the name but they are apperently a sporty model. They are 185 50 15's. I am telling you this because when i brake hard it tends to lock up pretty fast. is it the no abs or the tire size? i was thinking i could go wider and see. But first i need to replace the warped rotors or have them shaved. E-mail me Please.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:57 PM
fgfournet
R ENVY

I have friends that have the same problem. It is mainly the lack of ABS. You need to remember that the brakes were engineered for the DC2 chassis. Two people I know got a hold of some GSR suspension and put them on a 92 hatch and a 90 hatch. Both of them within a month of each other slammed into the back of someone when the brakes locked up. Both of them had LS motor swaps. A little heavier on the front end.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:07 AM
WhtSolR

Default Damn

Well I do say I have had some close calls. Thanks for the input...even though a tad scary.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:11 AM
WhtSolR

Default Hmmm

I wonder if I could possibly just add an abs unit to my car, but im pretty sure it would require a different ecu. What would you guys do to solve this problem? Scrap the brake system?
Old 12-15-2004, 03:44 PM
fgfournet
R ENVY

If you want to add ABS to your car, it will take a considerable amount of work. First you need the ABS unit, the ABS computer, four ABS sensors, wiring, and much more. Best thing to do is get familiar with your pedal and be careful. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:19 PM
George Knighton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhtSolR
...I am running Sumotomo Tires not sure the name but they are apperently a sporty model. They are 185 50 15's.
The lack of ABS is compounded by these tyres, which have a relatively low coefficient of friction.

If you bought more expensive or grippier (Falken Azenis) tyres, you'd have a harder time locking them up, and you'd still have better braking.

It's cost prohibitive trying to retrofit an ITR ABS system onto another car.