Notices

New to VTEC. Noobie Question

Old 10-25-2004, 08:09 AM
intjinfj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree!! My car is a testament to Honda long life. I have 183k miles on my car 94 GSR had a leakdown test down and average of 4% loss. 3% for 1 and 3 5% for 2 and 4. Still going to have a standard compression test done. Ordering a turbo for this car even at high miles. I have no problems with the car at all. Enjoy!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 08:13 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kfar09
redline on a gsr is 8200 and i believe fuel cutoff is 8300 or 8400. i wouldn't know, i've only taken it up to 8200. and redlining your car isn't bad for it. it was made to safely rev up to that point. anything above is where it gets dangerous.

and bluetwo, if you only take it up to 5500, you should sell the car and buy an ls. the gsr is made to rev high and if you aren't going to use it, you might as well get the ls and save $$ on insurance. just my .02
You are correct. The OEM cutoff is 8400 RPMs.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:17 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

about the secondaries remaining open question...

currently, my GSR is having this problem with open the 'flies permanently when the motor has reached operating temperature. it really kills the acceleration that the long runners provide.

a better diagram of the GSR IM:

Old 10-26-2004, 12:28 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally Posted by LT6916
about the secondaries remaining open question...

currently, my GSR is having this problem with open the 'flies permanently when the motor has reached operating temperature. it really kills the acceleration that the long runners provide.

a better diagram of the GSR IM:

LT just get the Skunk2 IM and not worry about the secondaries. That is what I am going to do.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:35 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

i already ordered the part that will fix my problem. but i will soon, tom
Old 10-26-2004, 03:49 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally Posted by LT6916
i already ordered the part that will fix my problem. but i will soon, tom
Nice! Good to hear!
Old 10-26-2004, 04:05 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by dustimus
No no and no. VTEC on a stock GSR is set at 4400 RPM, doesn't matter what wheels he has. The stock intake manifold on a GSR has secondaires that open up at 5800, that is the noise he is hearing.

From Ti.net
Ok, I'm stuplified. What does the intake manifold have to do with the electronic lift and control? Other then obvious. I've never heard anything about the VTEC kicking it at 4400rpms. I've only ever noticed it at 5500rpms. Furthermore, a larger wheel will alter your gear ratio to a certain degree. Thus your car going slower than what your speedo may be reading, which explains why my VTEC kicks in at almost 5600rpms. When it was bons stock brand new w/stock wheels 5500rpms is when it kicked over. The sales guy was like see wait...wait...your hear that at 5500rpms? Thats the VTEC. Which at the time I thought it was the coolest thing.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:36 PM
dustimus
Better golfer than you

Originally Posted by centerforce99
Ok, I'm stuplified. What does the intake manifold have to do with the electronic lift and control? Other then obvious. I've never heard anything about the VTEC kicking it at 4400rpms. I've only ever noticed it at 5500rpms. Furthermore, a larger wheel will alter your gear ratio to a certain degree. Thus your car going slower than what your speedo may be reading, which explains why my VTEC kicks in at almost 5600rpms. When it was bons stock brand new w/stock wheels 5500rpms is when it kicked over. The sales guy was like see wait...wait...your hear that at 5500rpms? Thats the VTEC. Which at the time I thought it was the coolest thing.
It has nothing to do with the VTEC, it works around VTEC. FYI we're talking about a GSR here, any b18c1's VTEC will switch over at 4400. Unless it has a diffrent ECU or a V-afc, where you could change it all you want.

taken from ti.nets vtec article.
Most people confuse the opening of the short intake runners as VTEC engagement because of the dramatic change in sound. It is hard to hear VTEC at 4400 RPM using the dual-stage intake manifold because the long runners restrict flow volume to the engine in order to maintain flow velocity. So for anyone that says VTEC on their GS-R is engaging at 5800 RPM tell them their ears are not engine tuning devices.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:32 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

Originally Posted by centerforce99
wowzers...time to straighten out the misconception:

on GSR's there are 2 things working together: VTEC switchover and the dual-stage intake manifold.

when the engine reaches 4400 RPMs, the VTEC oil pressure switch sends pins through the rocker arms, thus connecting the middle rocker arm to the outter rocker arms. The larger, "VTEC" lobe in between the primary cam lobes now pushes down the rocker arm, therefore opening the valves longer and with higher lift. You can't really hear it. THAT IS VTEC!

when engine speed increases to 5800 RPMs, the ECU sends a signal to the vacuum valve connected to the dashpot (the mushroom-looking mechanism on the side of the IM). The loss of vacuum opens the butterfly valves, which open up the secondary IM runners. This is what you hear.

The secondaries opening are not a mechanism of VTEC, just a way to flatten the torque curve. This allows the GSR motor to have the best of both worlds: good low end power & acceleration in the lower RPMs AND greater power and airflow in the higher RPMs.

hope this clears it up for you.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:14 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

I did not know all this about VTEC, but luckily for me I don't claim to be the expert either cause then I'd really look like an ass-wipe. Thanks guys...